The Type/Lettering Project is the development of a typographic treatment rendered by hand using brush and paint.
- Learn to recognize and appreciate the parts of the letterform by deliberately drawing and refining it by hand.
- Build an upgraded aesthetic for the typographic form and one’s personal expectations.
- Learn to gauge visual balance, measure, draw the letterform.
- Print the Typebook . It’s nine 8.5 x 11 pages. Print one side only.
- Using only a pencil or chisel-point marker, make 100 ligatures, tracing them from the typebook
- From the 100, chose three and bring into the computer, refining as per the reference sheet.
- Cut three 7×7-inch boards from an ultra-smooth illustration board, transfer the images of the finished ligatures to them and paint carefully with plaka
- Week 4 Sessions 1-2, draw the 100 ligatures
- Week 5 Session1, bring into the computer and refine
- Session 2: informal critique, cut boards
- Week 6: Session 1: Final refinement
- Session 2: Transfer and paint
- Week 7: Session 1-2 Critique.
- Watch this video. It was shot at City Tech and won an Emmy. https://youtu.be/p9SYKAS0SSY