Two quotes that I found important from watching Baldwin’s documentary, “I Am Not Your Negro” are the following:

1. “Leaving aside the bloody catalog of oppression, which we are, in one way, too familiar with already, what this does to the subjugated is to destroy his sense of reality.” This is important because blacks have always been oppressed since the beginning and unfortunately continue to be. Because blacks are constantly oppressed, they don’t have a sense of freedom.
  2. “I still believe we can do what this country something that’s never been done before. We are misled here because we think of numbers. We don’t need numbers, we need passion.” I found this quote important because it resonates with what is going on in the world today. For example, during the pandemic, we’ve seen the tragic death of George Floyd. Ever since then, everyone around the U.S. has started protesting, “Freedom for George Floyd” and those who weren’t able to protest, they would sign petitions online. Everyone in the U.S. should work as an entire community to bring situation like these to light. We need to be brave because I’m positive that we can change the world and make it a better place where everyone feels equal.