Safety comes first.

At Disney, it is extremely important to make sure that Emergency situations are taken care of for our guests. We must always be ready for an unpredictable emergency situation. It is our utmost priority to ensure that our guests feel safe while visiting the parks. Safety is number one at Disney which is backed up by the motto “Safety begins with me.” Cast members live by this motto around the clock even when not at the parks.
As part of my role at “Pop Century Resort,” I know where all the emergency evacuations are, I am also familiar with the oasis rules, chemical rules and health violation codes.
Before starting training, I had to study all the emergency and safety rules that are followed by Pop Century Resort. One of the main rules is to ensure that we call the chef when a guest has any food allergy or wants a recommendation. The chef then takes cares of the guest and their needs. Cast members are not allowed to help guests with any of these problems.
In “The Storms of Summer” by Barbara A. Higgins, the most likely emergency situation that Disney encounters revolves around food. She explains the types of food issues that can occur during unprecedented emergencies. These situations are rare, but they have occurred during hurricanes and emergencies such as 9/11. Because we cannot predict when these emergencies will occur, we must always be ready.​ The article describes the best ways to plan and experience any type of natural disaster that might affect us and our guests. Especially because we’re in Florida and natural disasters such as hurricanes are very common. We must employ safety drills and specific precautions in order to keep the guests safe and for everything to go as smoothly as possible
Disaster can strike at any time and so all cast members must keep in mind how to have a fast response. Blackouts, hurricanes, storms, and attacks should all be taken seriously and the guests should be kept safe.

This entry was posted in Read and React 2. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Safety comes first.

1. I didn’t know cast members couldn’t give any recommendations related to food allergy. Thanks for pointing that out. I hope nothing bad happen while we are living in Florida, but if something like that happens I’m sure we will know what to do.

2. Think about all the standard operating procedures you learned and the connections they make to safety. Disney thinks long and hard about this and helps guide their Cast Members in a safe direction.