Reading 1 – Traditions

When I first heard the word “Traditions” and how it was so special to the new cast members I wasn’t sure what to expect of it. Traditions were my first official day at work as a cast member. The program introduced me to the culture and heritage of Disney organization. They made me feel very special and lucky to be working for one of the most desired companies in the world. I was also able to meet new CP, ICP and cast members that have been working for the company for so long.
In the article “Create Company Loyalty with New-Hire Practice” written by Freidlein, the author states the same thought as Disney where he wants the employee to feel welcome and part of the family. If an employee is not happy or quit their job is because the company “didn’t give them adequate recognition or praise or we didn’t conduct our orientation optimally”. Disney wants to create happiness not only for the guest but also for us cast members.
One of the points that they talked at the traditions and is one of the most important things at any work location is The Four Keys Basics, which are: safety, courtesy, show, and efficiency. The four keys will guide us in deciding what actions and behaviors are best so that we can create happiness to our guests.
At my first day of training at my work location my trainer besides explaining everything to me he also let me feel as a guest. I was able to ride the ride and experience the attraction like any other guest. In the article, the company requires that all employees spend a night at the hotel so they can experience the hotel as a guest. I believe doing it will allow the employee to have a better view of when a guest stays at the hotel.
In conclusion, both Disney and HVS Hotel Management show how much the companies care about their employees. They want the employees to be happy so they can provide a better service. For a company to be successful they must treat their employees with respect and it will lead to higher productivity.

About Juliana Farnesi

Im a Public Relation who decided to go back to school to get my second BA in Hospitality Management. I love to travel and explore the world.
This entry was posted in Read and React 1. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Reading 1 – Traditions

1. I honestly wish my leader or trainer made me feel as a guest so I could have experienced it through a “guests” eyes as to what they are getting themselves into (in a good way of course!)

2. Hiring new employees, or in Disney’s case, Cast Members, is a major expense. If the recruitment and selection process is done effectively the next step would be a well organized and thoughtful orientation. I think I hear from you that Disney succeeded in this part.