being successful using the four Leadership Style

Throughout the semester, we have been exposed to many concepts, many abstract ideas that probably we would have never even thought of. An unforgettable concept I was exposed to in my Organizational Leadership class was “Leadership Style.” We have been exposed not only to understand what a leader is in comparison to a manager but also the four different existing leadership style that we have probably never noticed in our job and also ourselves. Indeed in this class we did not only study these concepts but also we practiced in class to be able to recognized it and keep it in mind for future opportunities in our career goals. The article by Irgens, OM. “Situational Leadership: a Modification of Hersey and Blanchard’s model”

There are four different Leadership Style which can identify who you are and how other cast members/co-workers see you. One is Directing, second is coaching, the third is supporting, and the last one is Delegating. At first we were confused with these different types of Leadership Style but when we putted in practice in class in groups, it helped us to classify the differences and to understand which Leadership Style we have.

Irgens expressed how everybody has a different Leadership Style which is followed by the workers and how the leader’s behavior has independent main components. In other words its something natural, it is the way the person is but it can be misinterpreted depending on the followers’ perception. Irgens says that it is important as a leader to be directive when it comes to giving rules so the follower can understand better how things are followed. In this article you can understand how the leaders act certain ways, and it is because of their Leadership Style.

One of the main point in the article is to understand how to be flexible with your followers when you are assigning a task since it might contribute to negative reaction form the follower caused by the way the leader is asking. Supporting is a good way to do it since you can help the person if the person seems to have a lack of conformability in such task.

Last, learning the four Leadership Style in class and then being able to practice it throughout the semester has been very helpful working at Disney. I feel that my cast members appreciate me more, I can see how my other leaders use them smartly and that is what keeps the good energy at work and ethics. As in the article, “Situational Leadership: a modification of Hersey and Blanchar’s model,” Irgens says how this concept is so important when you are working with people and how it can helps to move on in a business since you understand how to act accordingly to the situation you want to implement at the workplace.

Reference:

• Situational leadership: A modification Hersey and Blanchard – ProQuest

In-text: (“Situational Leadership: A Modification Hersey And Blanchard – Proquest”)

Your Bibliography: “Situational Leadership: A Modification Hersey And Blanchard – Proquest”. Search.proquest.com. N.p., 2017. Web. 3 May 2017.

About Joe

Currently I am a Hospitality ambassador who believes that the new generation (including myself), are the future leaders of the Hospitality and tourism world. I have contributed to the successful service the Walt Disney world Resort Company deliver to the Hospitality world. An active volunteer to Give Kids the World, a non-profit organization where we help to bring the magic of the community to life for the families of kids that have life-threatening illnesses.
This entry was posted in Read and React 5. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to being successful using the four Leadership Style

1. Im glad you talked about our leadership class because I learned so much in this class. Im sure it will help us a lot in our career, specially if one day we decided to be a leader.

2. The concept you choose is very interesting. Understanding different forms of leadership styles are great for future leaders of the workforce. This will give us a different perspective.