Traditions at first glance.

Upon first glance, I was unsure what to expect from “Traditions.” Previously, my only conception of traditions has been from celebrating holidays or recurring get togethers with friends. I had never thought of “Traditions” as the onboarding experience for a new job. Now that I have been through the “Traditions” experience, I understand how important it is for employees to understand the values that a company provides for their customers. After going through “Traditions,” I am able to be a better employee, a better coworker, and leader within the organization. Every day, cast members will use traditions to interact with guests and help drive the company forward.

During the “Traditions” experience, all participants are shown clips of the Disney Parks & Resorts. They get to understand how all the magic and memories happen. Through anecdotes and experiences, the trainers are able to showcase how they created magic for others.

As cast members, we receive all the perks that come with working for the Walt Disney Company in exchange for following the traditions that help make Disney what it is today – a magical experience for its guests. During the walking tour, I was able to understand the magic behind Disney. I was able to experience the park with my own eyes rather than behind a computer screen. The traditions experience also incorporated the Disney values by requiring us to find the four keys of Disney: Safety, Courtesy, Show, and Efficiency. We discussed how these keys were present in the park.

In the article about Traditions, the hotel manager wants to make sure that guest feels safe and comfortable with their experience. This starts with positive experiences when meeting the hotel employees. The argument made in the article is that if employees are happier with their jobs, they will do a better job taking care of the guests and the business as a whole with prosper. If the employees fully understand the values behind the hotel, they can better apply that to their daily jobs. If the employees also get to experience what it’s like to be a customer of the hotel (by staying a night in a room), they can better relate to the paying customers that stay at the hotel.

By learning the values and rules of working for Disney, I have learned what to expect and what guests can expect when they visit. By learning what happens “backstage” I have learned how the magic happens for our guests. Now, I understand that the magic begins with us. We help create the happiness and joy that our guests experience while staying with us. We keep up a smile and happy attitude for our guests to brighten their day and impact their stay.

This entry was posted in Read and React 1. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Traditions at first glance.

1. I`m glad you were able to understand the concept behind “traditions” and how you can utilize what you`ve learned in your workplace. Use what you have learned backstage and on stage to help you create lifelong experiences in your role. Good luck!

2. I was like you in beginning trying to understand what is traditions. Now that I have a better view of it makes way more sense. Its feels so good to be part of the “magic” that Disney provides for all the guests.

3. The connections you made a powerful ones. The Magic (and safety!) being with you. As you become more familiar with your workplace learn what you can do to go out of your way to make Magic every day.