Prof. Jenna Spevack | COMD3504_D061 | Fall 2022

Research Project Presentation-K.A.

A designer’s social responsibility

In this project, I wanted to examine how Fashion brands use this power of design to appeal to the audience’s concerns about sustainability. Fast fashion brands try to make advertising that makes people feel like they need their clothes to keep up with trends while believing that their clothes are not damaging the environment. I will focus on two of the biggest fast fashion brands and their attempts to appeal to their customer’s concerns about sustainability. The use of greenwashing and why I consider some of their advertisement to use greenwashing. I want to question the designers’ role in making this advertisement and how it conflicts with the designers’ social responsibility. I also want to question if it’s right to support this brand as a consumer and a designer.

Bibliography

Slides

1. Saria Tabassum

To be honest, I don’t think Shien is moving toward eco-friendly clothing. Shien produces millions of clothes every day. They are extremely cheap and of low quality, allowing people to buy once, wear once, and then trash them. I believe it is determined by how you wear your clothes. Purchasing low-quality clothing will cause you to wear it only once or twice, but purchasing high-quality clothing will cause you to wear it not only for a long time, but also to take better care of it better. I loved how you addressed how Shein has been stealing clothing designers from other small and big designers! Great job.