At the top of the post copy and paste the following: Celebrating the African-American Practitioners Absent From Way Too Many Classroom Lectures by Madeleine Morley, Eye on Design, 2018, Typography as a Radical Act in an Industry Ever-dominated by White Men by Silas Munro, Eye on Design, 2019, and Design Gets More Diverse by Alice Rawsthorn, NYTimes, 2011.

In this week’s reading, what stood out to me the most was the lack of diversity in the graphic design field. Most of the representation in the design field is dominated by white men. There are many great designers that are don’t get recognition because of their race and cultural background.

To change commercial design field to include of diversity of voices and visions, designers of color need to be given the technology and tools necessary to create typography. Most of them didn’t have access to these tools in the past limiting their ability to produce quality work. I think designers should also advocate to authorship so their work can be recognized and spread their name in the field. More designers with different backgrounds should be included to promote diversity.

The commercial design field and study of design history will definitely be a lot more diverse in 20 years. There are a lot more people of different races and cultures studying design than the past. I think there will also be new techniques and technological advances creating new ways of design. There may also be more representation of colored designers.