FAQs

Note: This plan is subject to change as the University and the College release new guidelines. Please stay connected. Please read this document very carefully before our first online session this week. If you have any questions and concerns, please email me at JinKim@citytech.cuny.edu.

Q. How will this class be taught?

A. This is an hybrid class, consisting of both online and in-person sections.

Asynchronous activities: Tu and Wed 

Our online class begins on Tuesday and ends on Wednesday each week. I will post all the weekly assignments and make them available at 12:01 am on Tuesdays on Blackboard. See the menu on the left and click on “Online(T/W).” You will see the weekly folder.

For example, a new weekly folder, “Week 1: Aug 30-Aug 31” will be available at 12:01 am on Aug 30. Click on the folder for that week.

Once you click on the title, read “instructions” and “checklist” very carefully. I will post all the assignments, reading materials, discussion prompt(s), and many other things on the weekly folder. You have 48 hours to read, write, and complete all the assignments. Please complete all the work in order in the folder. Get them done.

You must allocate about 2 hours or more to complete each week. You have two days, because I would like to give you enough time to digest those materials. The weekly folder will be disappeared by the end of that week. You can submit your assignments late, but no more than Sunday. But remember that there will be a penalty for the late submission. There will be an 1-point deduction every 6 hours for late submissions.  See the syllabus. Email me at jinkim@citytech.cuny.edu, if you need an accommodation.

Note: “Two exemption rule”

As I explained in the syllabus, there is the two exemption rule for the weekly discussion posts. I will drop the two lowest grades when I calculate your final grade. That means you can be exempted from two discussion posts for the entire semester. Things happen in your life and you might have some urgent situations. I won’t ask you why you did not submit your work. You do not have to email me to discuss it. But remember that it applies to everyone equally, so there will be no negotiation.

In-person meetings

Simple. We meet at 2:30 pm on Thursdays!

Q. I am not familiar with Blackboard. What should I know about it?

A. You must familiarize yourself with Blackboard for online classes. Please spend some time navigating it.

For this course, you will see the menu on the left and use some options there: Announcements, Start Here!, Online (T/W), and Writing & Exams.

First, Start Here contains the basic information about the course, including syllabus and the FAQs.

Second, Online (T/W) includes weekly folders that contain all the reading and discussion assignments that you must complete between Tuesday and Wednesday. Each weekly folder will be available on every Tuesday. You can still submit late assignments by the end of Sunday, but I will make unavailabe after 11:59 pm on Sunday.

Third, Writing & Exams will include writng assignment and movie review submissions and resources for midterm and final exams.

Q. How will materials be disseminated?

A. You are also required to read a chapter before a new lecture begins. Yet, this is an OER course and you’re not required to purchase any textbooks. All the course materials will be posted on Blackboard.

Q. What do we write for writing assignments?

A. There is one individual project that you must complete in order to pass this course and two movie reviews. Please see the syllabus for further instructions.

You are required to submit all the work via Blackboard.

Q. Where do I submit my writing assignments?

A. Click on “Writing & Exams.” You will see two folders: Writing and Exams.

Q. Can I submit my assignments late?

A. You must complete all the online work by the end of Wednesday night. You can still submit your assignments late, but no more than Sunday. The folder for the week will be disappeared at the end of that week.

For writing assignment(Neighborhood Project) and two movie reviews, you can still submit them late, but I strongly encourage you to submit your work on time. If you earn less than 80 out of 100, I will give you a chance to revise your draft (writing assignments only). Remember that there is a penalty for the late work for EACH 6 HOURS (not each class) after the deadline. Students will receive a 1-point deduction (out of 100) for each 6 hours. See the syllabus.

However, email me at jinkim@citytech.cuny.edu, if you need an accommodation with a legit reason!

Q. Do you still take attendance?

A. Yes, I do. For online components, once you complete all the online work, I will mark it “attend.” If you do not do it, I will mark it “absent.”  For in-person classes, it’s simple! If you come, I will mark it attend. If you do not, I will mark it “absent”

Q. Now I know you are willing to meet with us. But are you available to meet in person?

A. I can meet you after class. But I have my office hours between 1 pm and 3 pm on Tuesdays via Zoom!

Q. I’m having a technical issue now. What should I do?

A. Given that this course is entirely reliant on technology, it is important to complete your work ahead of time to avoid the risk of technological failures preventing you from doing your work on time. If you encounter technical problems, please find the appropriate contact information here: http://it.citytech.cuny.edu/