Course Policy

Attendance Policy

Attendance

Attendance will be taken every class. For in-person classes on Thursday, I will call your names at 2:30 pm. Since our class is hybrid, I will also identify whether a student actively engage in class , such as doing group activities, and submitting assignments for Tu/Wed online module. I will mark you in attendance if you participate in class activities for that week for the half sessions. If you did not, I will make you absent.

Late work

There is a penalty for the late work for EACH 6 HOURS (not each class) after the deadline. Students will receive a 1-point deduction (out of 100) for each 6 hours. For example, if you earn 95 out of 100, but the assignment was turned in 24 hours late, your final grade for that paper will be lowered to 91. However, remember that each weekly assignment folder will be disappeared at 11:59 pm on Sunday. If you need an accommodation, please talk to me in advance.

Academic Integrity

Plagiarism and cheating will not be tolerated. Remember that Academic Dishonesty is prohibited in The City University of New York and is punishable by penalties, including failing grades, suspension, and expulsion.

If any student is found to have cheated during an exam, he or she will be failed from the class and further disciplinary action may be taken. For more information, please read policies on academic integrity: https://www2.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/legal-affairs/policies-procedures/academic-integrity-policy/

Extra credit

NO EXTRA CREDIT IS AVAILABLE FOR THIS COURSE.

Concerns about grades

Any concerns related to grades must be raised before the semester ends. Grades will be available on Blackboard before submitted. There will be no response to any emails asking grade changes after final grades are submitted in CUNYFirst.

Incomplete

Except under highly unusual circumstances, no incompletes will be given.

How to email an instructor properly

Use appropriate email etiquette when emailing the instructor:

1. Allow at least 24 hours for a response, longer on weekends and holidays. If you have not received a response within two business days, it is appropriate to send a follow-up email.
    2. Include “SOC 1101” in the subject line.
    3. Use a professional email address, preferably your NYCCT email.