Week 9 – 10: Continuing My Internship Examined – Professional Attire

This will be a shorter blog than my others, I just wanted to explain further on my internship and the process in which I asked for the opportunity. When I was at the networking event, the rep had asked us all what we thought a professional outfit consisted of.

During the event, if you recall, I was wearing a black button-down shirt with a black tie in a half windsor knot. For me, this was a little more casual when it comes to professional attire. I wore that on that day as a spur of the moment but this ended up being a good example for the question the rep had asked us. When she did ask, I grabbed my tie and exclaimed, “a nice shirt and tie?” Contrary to what I assumed, the tie is not totally necessary, she explained. Of course, do your research on the company’s dress code and of course take into account what event you are attending to know for sure if a tie is required. Usually ties, are too dressy and depending on the type of work you are doing, the tie will simply get in the way.

Fast forward to when the rep and I began speaking about continuing my internship, she briefly reminded me about my work attire. remembering this, I figured a tie seemed possibly inappropriate for studio work so I thought something a little different would suffice. I went in my closet and found the bow-tie I wore to my high school prom. Surprisingly, it still fit! Not surprisingly, I looked adorable in it and I even paired it with my cute hat. Together, the hat and bow-tie gave me a more gender neutral vibe which I felt content with walking into the studio as.

Me in my bow-tie and cute hat

Me in my bow-tie and cute hat

Honestly, I loved the pairing so much, I may even wear this outfit for my presentation for this class! It’s funny how you don’t think a simple change in wardrobe can give you a good enough confidence boost to do things you may not have thought you had the courage to do. Of course, the networking event had a huge role in that newfound motivation but you can’t deny a snazzy bow-tie’s charm.

Me in my cute hat and fierce bow-tie.

Me in my cute hat and fierce bow-tie.

Back to the summer internship, I have not yet received a permanent schedule for summer as Accardo will be flying to his other studio in Pittsburg for business there. Despite this, we agreed on continuing the 3D models of Topsy and The Professor. The story behind these two characters is wonderful and I am excited to express their humanity and often times insanity, within my work. Hopefully, the models come out well enough to Accardo’s liking and he may grant me permission to use the models in the portfolio class I’ll be taking next semester.

On a side note, I’m graduating in June. I will still be here for another semester but for only three classes so I’m already as good as gone from tech. It’s amazing how I never thought I would get this far. When I came to tech, my grades weren’t worth much and my art stank, to say the least. But my years here, despite some annoyances I have endured in this school, have been fun. Especially when I think of AGU and all the times I spent with them. I will miss being in this school, especially my friends and even some of the professors! I’ve done so many amazing things in this school that I never wold have done before I came here. I think what I’m trying to say is that education is more than just learning your craft, it pushes you past the limits you unconsciously set for yourself. I’m honestly terrified of walking in June for the commencement, I have pretty bad stage fright, but I’m going to do it because I now know I can. Aside from getting your nitch, as Accardo has said, the education you get here should also open you up to learning new and sometimes even uncomfortable things and conquering them.

tumblr_n01gu67uiY1qc4uvwo1_500

Side note: Okay, I guess this wasn’t as short as I originally assumed it would be. Everyone can use some motivational post that says get up and do the thing!