Week 4: Here Comes Topsy!

This week has been increasingly busy but exciting! I was given a more permanent schedule to follow but it is still subject to change, as I am currently taking the Senior Project class so that has priority for me currently. I will be at the studio every other Wednesday as well as every Saturday and Sunday from around 10 – 11am to about 4 – 6pm. Depending on the amount of work I need to get done, I can stay later or even arrive earlier, if necessary. With the Senior Project looming over me, I just might find myself over there from very early morning until very late night quite frequently!

"Hello, Accardo Studios, Rogue speaking."

“Hello, Accardo Studios, Rogue speaking.”

In less depressing news, I was finally introduced to the project I’ll be doing while working at the studio; I will be 3D Modeling and rigging a character from one of Accardo’s books. The character, a rather wild and fun guy, is a hat. Yes, I said that right. Everyone, please meet Topsy!

Topsy!

Topsy!

He is a hat that sits on top of the other character’s head, The Professor. Not always though, sometimes he is seen hitching a ride on other people, willing or not! The Professor is a sorcerer of sorts, whom is mostly docile and gentle. Topsy, on the other hand, is a party animal and loves to go on adventures! Their contrasting personalities make them both believable as well as lovable. Topsy is interesting in the fact that the type of hat he has on becomes his clothing. As seen below, the top hat becomes his formal wear, a suit, if you will.

Topsy the hat!

Topsy the hat!

Accardo told me of how he had done several sketches of this character and how he wanted to make a rather interesting book with them. What’s even more interesting is the backstory behind the pair; they are based off of Accardo and his late friend Larry. The two were friends for many years and because of that, the characters were instilled with some of the personality of the people they are based on. Topsy, is based on Larry while The Professor, aptly named, is based off of Accardo.

Topsy!

Topsy!

I think this assignment will be fun, especially when it comes to fully rigging The Professor and Topsy to animate! As a mostly 3D modeling artist, this assignment will be both enjoyable and instrumental in helping me get closer to my ultimate goal of being a 3D model artist for a big wig video game company.

Me interning at Accardo Studios!

Me interning at Accardo Studios!

Me interning at Accardo Studios!

If my model is pristine enough, perhaps the professor will want to continue working with me on some other designs from his various children’s books! The possibilities are endless and I am very optimistic for what the future holds for me and my artistic career.