Abraham De La Ros

New York Cut College of Technology, CUNY

300 Jay Street

Brooklyn, NY 11201

March 7, 2022

Dear Developers of Communication Tools,

I would like to first thank you for taking the time to read this letter and giving some consideration to what I have to say. I would like to discuss an issue my group has come across when we were using communication tools to work on problems our group has. There seems to be a lack of effective communication when my peers and I are reviewing information we send over to one another. What I mean is there always seems to be some sort of miscommunication and the advice we give to one another is misinterpreted. This is due to the lack of nonverbal communication and the absence of physical aspects of communication. In our daily lives, we use nonverbal cues to communicate certain pieces of information and without those cues being seen by our colleagues, that sort of information is lost in translation. This problem not only affects my group, but affects people who rely on communication tools. More and more people are using these tools due to the pandemic and we are losing out on the physical aspects of communication. We understand with the use of communication tools, some aspects of verbal communication and nonverbal communication will always be lost. However, we believe there might be a way to mitigate such effects and regain some of those aspects.

First, we must discuss various examples of this problem affecting our conversation when using communication tools. One example is someone on the internet can be giving some form of critique to a creator in order to help them improve, however with the loss of voice tones when we use communication tools, that critique can come across as harsh and demeaning. The person giving the critique could be seen in a negative light when all they were trying to do was give some form of criticism. With this, some hostilities can arise and people can be fighting over what is a misunderstanding. Such a problem could be avoided in a situation where both people were meeting face to face. Another example is when several people take on a problem and one person gives advice on how to do it. Let’s say the problem is a math problem and