Prof K Pelka : Monday 6:00 - 9:20

Discussion 1 – Harry Chen

1. Dawoud Bey wanted to use photography as a way to represent how blacks were portrayed in art and popular culture. Bey stated that he wanted to create photographs that conveyed a deep complex human being. In his “Night Coming Tenderly Black” project that focused on the Underground Railroad, secret routes used by runaway slaves in the 1800s, he captured photographs that had no figures just dark and unidentified landscapes. Bey wanted the viewer to be in the perspective of the fugitive slaves and picture what they saw and felt seeking freedom through these dark landscapes. He wanted to remind people of black history and liberation.
  2. Carrie Mae Weems wanted to use photography to give all women a voice through the “The Kitchen Table Series”. With this series she wanted to show what she describes as a battle within families all happen at the kitchen table. Her photographs portray the good and bad moments all happen at the site of the kitchen table in a women’s life.
  3. To find my own voice I need to find something I am passionate about and would want to portray in my own photos.

1. Ken Pelka

Like the 2 photographers, discover your passion from your personal experience. Try different approaches and experimenting