Prof K Pelka : Monday 6:00 - 9:20

Discussion #1

1.Dawoud Bey found his voice through the camera and pictures from his handicap of loss of hearing. With that in mind he is able to compensate through how he views the world. He had a project called “Night Coming Tenderly Black” that focused on the time of the Underground Railroad. There were no subjects in the photos just dark landscapes. He wanted the viewer to see through the eyes of the fugitive slaves moving through the landscape through the dark landscapes. Although you cannot see the slaves or the railroad he wanted to make “the invisible, visible” for the viewer.

2.Carrie Mae Weems was able to find her voice through her series called “The Kitchen Table Series” by realizing that their needed to be voice for also all women. All in the comfort of her own home in her own way. With her project she wanted to display the spaces in domesticity that belong to woman. She describe the various situations that she describe as “battles” such as, family, monogamy, polygomy and sexes.

I believe I can find my voice by knowing what I’m trying to convey.

1. Ken Pelka

Making the invisible visible is the underlying theme of Bey’s work. Whether the underground
    rail road photos , the people of Harlem series or the Birmingham Project.

Both photographers drew on personal experience to figure out what they want to convey