A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Curiosity

As a kid, I was curious about this world; we keep asking questions about something we see new. It was the same for me. As a kid, I was mostly interested in my toys, but not playing with them more like how they function. If someone gets me a new toy car, I will play around with it a few days and then, later on, bring a screw to open it up to take the motor out and play with it; for this reason, I had destroyed a lot of toys. I also had a curiosity about riding a bike. I wanted to know how this bike functions and how can I make it go faster. As I learned riding bikes on two wheels when I was two years old, it gave me good speed by 7. I used to watch many martial arts movies, so it played a significant role in inspiring me in martial arts. I couldn’t slow it down or anything, so I would watch those movies many times as it would playback after a few weeks on the TV.  I used to practice martial art and always wondered whether I could learn them or not, but then I also didn’t want to go to any martial arts school. 

I kept on practicing out of curiosity. I used to ride bikes crazy around my area when I was in my country. Ride with my friends, and they wouldn’t be able to keep it up with me. When I learned about the gear systems by the bike I wanted one so much. When I got one, I rode it so much that it showed many problems. I thought I could fix it, and then I was also afraid to cause more problems. So I used to take my bike to a repair shop and observe how they fix it. 

Right now, when I ride a bike for a long time, and I don’t get tired quickly, it feels natural to ride for hours after hours. Now when I have a problem with my bike, I just analyze it and fix it myself. As for martial art, I used to practice basic different martial art movements, and after three years, I have become so much flexible to many styles.  I started understanding the martial art movies how they do the fight choreography. Over the years, out of curiosity, I used to do these things as a hobby; now, these matters feel natural.  Fixing the bike has given me the ability to analyze machines and learn about them, and from martial art it has given me the ability to play many sports and stay fit and slim even if I don’t work out once every three months. That’s why having curiosity is essential because we never know what knowledge will we have and when. 

1. Dr. Vivian Papp

Bikes are really interesting, Mohammad. My father used to do bike races when I was a kid. He could ride for miles and miles!

2. Joel

The things you did with your toys out of curiosity allowed you to gain a new fascination of exploring beyond what we see. People tend to see martial arts and just say cool but you practiced the basics alone. Same applies to your liking for bike riding. Just those two alone offered you better stamina & endurance.

• Mohammad Chowdhury

Yes, I totally agree with you. Cycling indeed helped me with my endurance, and it helped in my martial art practice.