Thursday October 18th, 2018, 4:30-6:00pm (Faculty Commons, N227)
*Refreshments will be served. (Thanks to the Provost’s Office for its generous support of this event!)
*Part-time faculty are eligible to receive a stipend for participation.
*Please RSVP by commenting on this post. Please share this invitation with your colleagues!
Join the OpenLab Team, City Tech faculty and staff, and CUNY colleagues at our next Open Pedagogy event, where we’ll be discussing remixing and sharing in open digital pedagogy. The OpenLab and other open digital environments create new opportunities for developing readily adaptable teaching materials, easily sharing and remixing content, and promoting collaboration within and across disciplines. We’ll introduce improved ways to highlight and search for open content (such as OERs) on the OpenLab and a new “shared cloning” functionality that allows other faculty to more easily adapt OpenLab course content. Together, we’ll explore benefits and uses of these developments for open teaching and learning, as well as the ethics and best practices of sharing and remixing.
We’ll consider the following questions:
- What opportunities for sharing and remixing teaching materials do open digital environments like the OpenLab present?
- How does this contrast with more traditional teaching environments?
- What are the ethics and best practices of sharing and remixing?
- As someone participating in an open digital environment, what responsibilities do you have? What responsibilities do you envision for others?
- Abby Goode, “Against “Product-Based Learning”: Open Texts are Never Finished.” September 6, 2018.
- Lawson, Konrad, M. “Citing Syllabi.” The Chronicle of Higher Education: ProfHacker, August 21, 2014.
- Croxall, Brian. “Forking your Syllabus.” The Chronicle of Higher Education: ProfHacker, March, 22, 2012.
- DeRosa, Robin. “My Open Textbook: Pedagogy and Practice” actualham: The Professional Hub for Robin DeRosa, May 18, 2016.
- Readings on OERs, Syllabi, and Attribution of Teaching Materials:
- Open Oregon Educational Resources. Attribution Statements for Remixed OER Content. March 27, 2017.
- Harris, Katherine. “Acknowledgements on Syllabi.” March 8, 2012.
- City Tech Library. OER Copyright and Fair Use Module.
- City Tech Library. Open Educational Resources (OER), Attribution.
12 thoughts on “Open Pedagogy Event (10/18): Remixing and Sharing in Open Digital Pedagogy”
Looking forward to being there!
This reply is to acknowledge my attendance to the Open Pedagogy Event via OpenLab on October 18, 2018 from 4:30 to 6pm, and in room N227… so looking forward to this event.
Robert L. Woods, Ph.D
I look forward to discussing open digital pedagogy with all of your next week at this event!
See everyone there! Looking forward
I would be attending.
I’ll be there! Looking forward to seeing everyone.
I’ll be there! Looking forward!
See everybody on Thursday!
I look forward to attending this. I may be a bit late (but I hope not).
See you there–looking forward to it!
I hope it isn’t too late to RSVP, but I would like to attend. Looking forward to it.