Student Blend

We tasted six base wines, three white wines, and three red wines at Red Hook Winery. White base wine varieties are Sauvignon blanc and Chardonnay brewed in two different ways. Red base wine varieties Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, and Merlot. 

Since my food item is beef, the best choice for my wine blend is red wine, because the tannins in red wine can remove the greasy substances in the beef very well, making the beef taste better, and the meat texture of beef good to reduce the dryness of the wine and make the flavor of red wine more prominent. When red wine is paired with fish, the umami in the fish will be covered entirely due to the relatively heavy tannins in the red wine. At the same time, because red wine is rich in iron, plus the iron in the fish itself, if they are paired together, they will It will make the fish have an unpleasant metallic taste, which will greatly affect the aroma and taste. 

I choose all three red base wines, with 80% Cabernet Franc as the main body, 10% Petit Verdot, and 10% Merlot as the auxiliary. Cabernet Franc offers leaner, saltier red fruit flavors. Petit Verdot will add more floral notes and tannins, as well as opaque color. Merlot to add complex peppery notes and a more vibrant finish. 

Based on my blend ratios, my ultimate expectation is that each base wine will bring out its own best layering, with a better blend of tannins and acid. Creates a balanced and complex wine blend.

This entry was posted in Team 6, Shihan li. Bookmark the permalink.