Rab Source Entry #1 – Fan

Harris, Elizabeth A. “Not Everyone Hates Remote Learning. For These Students, It’s a Blessing.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 20 May 2020, https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/nyregion/coronavirus-students-schools.html?searchResultPosition=10. 

Mi: Even though remote learning is probably a poor substitute for being in the classroom, the benefit of it is still obvious. The convenience brought to the student is remarkable. Of course, it can’t work with every student but it’s the only thing that processed a great outcome during the pandemic.

Sup idea#1 The avoidance of distractions like disruptive classmates, also avoids bullying.

Sup idea#2 Some introverted kids are really liking it at home because they’re not dealing with the social anxiety of being quote-unquote different.

Sup idea#3 Motivated students can be working at their own pace. The multiple ways of demonstration and recorded material will help more confused students to comprehend better.

Elizabeth Harris’ NYT article “Remote Learning ….” makes the argument remote learning is great in certain ways. An eighth-grade student, Salah-Deen Founthia who used to have a hard time paying attention in the physical classroom discovered that remote learning helped him to pay more attention. Founthia said, “It’s just like one-on-one tutoring directly from the teacher.”

The difficulty was still remaining in participating in online classes such as students might not have tablets, devices, and reliable internet at home, Students can’t socialize, as usual, vulnerable students might not be able to keep up. Even though there are concerns about online learning, some students can take advantage of online learning to form a way of learning and construct a better result. There are several benefits for teenage students such as avoiding distraction and annoying classmates, avoiding bullying, working at their own pace, take breaks when students want to. Introverts can speak because they are in their comfort zone.

Educators say this way of learning provides another option for motivated students, some kind of hybrid model. This mode benefits visual learners because the information was being demonstrated in multiple ways. If the student were studying something very complex and difficult such as the Pythagorean theorem, their teacher can record the class process so that the student can watch it back and forth.  Parents said that it is easier for them to keep an eye on their child’s assignments.

Reflection and Rhetorical Analysis 

I agree with the information that the author presents because I am also participating in online courses. Therefore, my shadow was reflected in the article. For example, I watched recorded math classes before the exam. I am an introverted person, so speaking in front of my computer did help a lot. I am currently working at my own pace. It’s just like one-on-one tutoring directly from the teacher because the blackboard is on your screen. Furthermore, if you get tired during class, you can even lay down on your bed or sofa for a few minutes and that is impossible to do in school.

The author’s words search for the idea that was forgotten in my mind. So, when I was reading this article it seemed like the idea deep in my mind was being organized. Meanwhile, this source tells me that remote studying works in a great way with certain students, especially for those who can’t participate in the physical classroom. So, online courses did make some students better but not the majority. I selected this source because  I wanted to research the consequences of how a pandemic affected students’ learning status. Before the pandemic people had the will to implement online learning but it’s not a requirement to be processed and later on enforced by the government. Therefore, I really wanted to know how it affects students of all ages and the benefits it brought to the student or the inconveniences it influenced.

The author is writing everything on point with supporting details that lead you to your thoughts. The specific examples or quotes from either student and the educator. The tone is reliable and persuasive. The author’s purpose is to list some benefits of online studying, which were affected by the pandemic. The intended audience might be students, teachers, and parents. The article might have changed their point of view to online studying a little bit. The genre can be a realism narrative. It’s effective because she was finding the advantages of remote learning from the quote and different students she heard of who had improved since the online course started.  The author wants to be sincere so people believe her, and she can persuade more individuals. This author is credible because she was a NY Times reporter since 2009, who has covered education, retail companies for the business section. Her work has been honored with awards from the New York Press Club and the Silurians Press Club.

“At home, it seems to be a bit easier to focus on all the work I’m getting and it’s almost like we’re one on one with the teacher,” Salah-Deen said. (paragraph 5)

“When they’re learning the Pythagorean theorem, why not give them some multimedia that they can go backward and forward and watch over and over? (paragraph 28)

2 thoughts on “Rab Source Entry #1 – Fan”