Introduction-Fan

My name is Fan Zhou, an immigrant from China, people say America is full of freedom and opportunity, therefore my family migrated. I got no right to decide where I want to stay I was too young at that time, so it’s required for me to merge into another culture. At first, I can’t fit in the environment, Bilingual classes are helping me a lot, (and that is probably the reason that I didn’t have an English name, I think my name is great enough for people to pronounce) takes me a few years to get rid of my accent by watching television shows, movies, listening to music, communicate with my peers, I went to an international high school after that, I can feel the barriers between me and people from other race, different point of view, thoughts, stereotypes, tears the relationship apart.

Ethnicity created another barrier for immigrants, sort of like an egg in the membrane protected by the shield, waiting for someone to crack it or hatch by itself when the temperature is comfortable. China was late in interacting with the western world, there is no similarity between these languages, therefore the roots are not deep like any other culture. My parent understands my situation since it’s our first generation on western land. They told me I can do whatever I wanted to do, which I really appreciated, but unfortunately, I don’t have a direct dream but a goal, to plant a seed and wait for roots to grow.

6 thoughts on “Introduction-Fan”

1. This introduction is a pleasure to read. You express yourself in wonderful detail!

I like how you explain improving your accent by immersing yourself in American culture — tv, movies, music — and the way you explain assimilation using the simile of an egg waiting for the right temperature to crack open. I love that you describe your goal as planting a seed and waiting for it to grow. You offer thoughtful observations on your Chinese and American identity.

I look forward to watching your writing skills grow and develop like a seed in a garden.

1. Thank you, Professor Wu, for reading through my introduction, I’m also looking forward to seeing my potential, I’ll try my best.

2. Your name is great, it represents where you come from, you like it there more it will always remind you that you were born there. I’m sure America is nothing like China but at least you can say you’ve been to both countries. Not sure what age you were when your family decided to come to America but hopefully you got to experience things from your culture why you were there. Adapting to a new country was probably really hard as a child , because American children are rude and say offensive things even if they don’t notice it. I don’t know what movies,tv shows, or music you listen to but there’s plenty of ways you can still find them and watch or listen to them in America. We have a variety of different cultures. Hopefully you and your family get some good opportunities here and become successful at whatever you decide to do for a living.

3. I find your name unique and cool. I also find it amazing that you have been to both China and America. Fan as time goes by I’m sure that you will find s dream that corresponds with your goals. Im sure when you first moved here it was very tough because you had to learn and adapt to America. I hope that we can become friends in this upcoming year Fan.