RAB Source Entry#1– Fanta

Part 1: MLA Citation 

Jason Deparle. “Disadvantaged Students more likely to be learning remotely, study finds”. The New York Times December 24,2020 https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/24/us/remote-learning-student-income.html?searchResultPosition=1

Summary:

My research question is how has corona virus affected disadvantaged students? This topic interests me most because online learning wasn’t easy for many students and for me it wasn’t really helpful. Online learning is very stressful . It wasn’t easy for students who couldn’t afford wifi or any sort of technology use. Many student’s couldn’t join classes because they had to share a device or had bad services in their homes. I feel like online learning is more stressful than being actually in the building where you can physically get help with technology and good service or etc. I read some articles from the New York Times that interested me about the topic I’m researching because it tells you about disadvantage student’s who couldn’t afford wifi or had to share chrome books with one another when everyone had class at the same time. According to the author who wrote the New York Times article “Disadvantaged Students more likely to be learning remotely Study finds” by Jason Deparle stated that Other experts have warned that disadvantaged students often lack the support that remote learning requires, such as computer access, quiet study space and help from parents or tutors. In many homes it isn’t really quiet especially if there’s classes at the same time.

Part 3a: Reflection 

Do you agree or disagree with the information that the author presents? Why or why not? Be specific!

I agree with this article in the New York Times because that’s how I feel about online learning. Not having access to any internet or technology use while class is in session isn’t good because many people couldn’t afford either wifi or laptop or even both. Many even have wifi that isn’t really good to work with especially if the house is full and everyone’s being connected to the wifi at the same time.

Part 3b: rhetorical analysis 

The New York Times article was written to show us how online learning has affected students during the pandemic. Basically the author is informing us about how working online is difficult for many students around the world and how students couldn’t afford technology use or internet which wasn’t right for the students . The audience is people who struggle with online work and how they feel about it. This is an effective genre because it catches your attention when you read it and gives you so much information on how online learning was for the disadvantaged students that couldn’t have access to wifi or any technology use or even had to share one laptop.

Part 4:

“Mya Janae agreed that “online is bad, because for me it’s hard to pay attention,” especially with her cat, Queen, nearby. “I’m not learning anything. I feel like if I keep learning like this, I’m gonna flunk.” paragraph 9

“Disadvantaged students are much more likely than others to be engaged in remote schooling during the coronavirus pandemic, increasing the risk that less effective instruction will widen the achievement gap, according to the first comprehensive analysis of attendance patterns”. Paragraph 1

“Remote learning is widely considered less successful than traditional classrooms, especially for younger children”. Paragraph 3

1 thought on “RAB Source Entry#1– Fanta”

1. Fanta:

I am glad we talked and I saw you felt better.

However your work needs much more attention. I think you are confused because you are doing the project out of step. THis is a super hard assignment and you have fallen behind: Remember I told the class — it was so important to follow step by step and to do it on time. You are confused and you have put your Proposal Paragraph into the Summary here! These are separate parts of the RAB assignment. We actually did them in separate steps in the Open Lab. You have jumbled them together.

1. Your RAB Proposal is:
    My research question is how has corona virus affected disadvantaged students? This topic interests me most because online learning wasn’t easy for many students and for me it wasn’t really helpful. Online learning is very stressful . It wasn’t easy for students who couldn’t afford wifi or any sort of technology use. Many student’s couldn’t join classes because they had to share a device or had bad services in their homes. I feel like online learning is more stressful than being actually in the building where you can physically get help with technology and good service or etc.
    HAVE YOU USED THE TEMPLATE SO THAT YOUR PROPOSAL PARAGRAPH ANSWERS ALL THE QUESTIONS IN THE PARAGRAPH STARTER? PLEASE GO BACK TO YOUR PRINTED OUT ASSIGNMENT OR LOOK IN UNIT TWO ASSIGNMENTS:

I copy here from Announcements for October 25. That was when you should have done the Proposal Paragraph and gotten feedback to correct it!

Write a paragraph – This paragraph is your proposal which will later become your RAB introduction. Address the following questions:

My research question is: How has the CV pandemic impacted and changed ______? This topic interests me because ___. (good solid explanation, should be personal – 3 more sentences) I already know that ______. (3 more sentences). Some points that I plan to explore and find out more about are _________ (3 points).

2. Then you need to do the RAB Source Entry 1 using the article you have chosen.

You summary needs to be better and clearly finding the SPECIFIC Main Ideas. Please work with the tutor on this. Your summary — as you have it here– does not tell me enough so that I know what the article is about. Your summary lacks the important points. There is no specific information that educates me your reader on the article.

3. Have you looked at the examples I posted under Research Project Resources?

https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/lwueng1101co-fall2021/mla-resources/

Look at my LWu example RAB Source Entry posts: click on “Example Posts”

4. Please review How to Write a Summary: On Research Project Resources page scroll down to:
    Summary-Two Methods_Sample

5. Look at student examples like Fan’s RAB Source Entry 1 and Source Entry 2 in Student Posts. You can also see my posts under Student Posts — Lisa for Source Entry 1 and 2.

6. Your MLA Citation is not correct. Your Parts 3A and 3B Reflection and Rhetorical analysis need to say something more specific. LOOK AT THE LWu RAB Source Entry EXAMPLES I posted in Research Project Resources as I directed you above.