Between Two Worlds – Emely Reynoso

Have you had the Experience of living between two different worlds, Perhaps each with its own language? I am Dominican Born in the U.S, My first language was Spanish. A lot of people ask me how was I able to learn English, One advantage that I had was being born here and getting the right education even though it was very hard at first. When I was in 3rd grade I was put in a Bi-lingual class, This class taught English and Spanish, The kids that were in this class were mixed English and Spanish. Me, in the other hand was Dominican born American, When I was in school I didn’t really have any friends not because I didn’t want to have any, But because nobody wanted to be my friend. I thought at first maybe it’s because of the way I am “open” a lot of the students were “uptight” and half of them were “annoyed” by me. one day I decided to sit with the English kids to try and make some friends. They all looked at me and some laughed because I couldn’t speak their language very well, That really made me feel sad but not too sad because I though I would be able to make friends with the Spanish kids. But turned out that just because I wasn’t born in DR they didn’t want me around or be my friend. Now that really made me feel abandoned and like I didn’t fit or belonged anywhere. But I was okay because I decided that I was perfectly fine on my own, So I minded my business and read a lot of books and learned a lot. I tried hard to move on until I got to high school.

When I first started high school I saw many opportunities. I thought to myself maybe I should just continue what I’ve been doing which is focusing on school and continue to learn and expand my mind to other things. Until a group of teens spoke to me out of no where. It made me really happy because I was feeling very lonely not being able to talk to anyone other than family or people to hang out with. Those years went by quick and I was happy but I wasn’t myself anymore. I ended up slacking in school work and becoming more lazy. I stopped reading and writing and became more focused on unimportant things. You can say that this new environment I was in changed my perspective and view on a lot of things that actually mattered, and yes I do regret it I think that if I was the old me I would have been doing better now.

4 thoughts on “Between Two Worlds – Emely Reynoso”

1. In my experience gowning up and in school people from different countries are seen as outsiders. This isn’t right and I never agree with people being treated badly. My mom didn’t raise me to treat people from different countries poorly. This world is made up of all races and cultures and this is what makes up America. People should never be so close minded to miss treat people. When people prejudge a person they can be missing out on a great person.

2. Emely: I feel sad for you. This is painful for a young child. THis is a good start.

NOW GOING FORWARD WITH THIS FREE-WRITE:

You write: . . . a Bi-lingual class, This class taught English and Spanish, The kids that were in this class were mixed English and Spanish. [Give a list of the different groups with details and descriptions of the kids in each group. Was this a school with a lot of clicks? Show me the groups.]

You write: . . . because of the way I am “open” a lot of the students were “uptight” and half of them were “annoyed” by me. [explain more clearly, give examples of this behavior in you and in the others]

You write: . . . one day I decided to sit with the English kids to try and make some friends. They all looked at me and some laughed because I couldn’t speak their language very well, That really made me feel sad [Here create a scene with details and descriptions. When, where did this happen? Is this still 3rd grade? or mid school? Was this the lunchroom? What did you say? Or what did you think you were saying? Show your confused use of English. What did the other kids say? What did you see in their faces? How did you feel? Show me more about your sad feelings? Give me more desciption on your feelings.]

You: I though I would be able to make friends with the Spanish kids. But turned out that just because I wasn’t born in DR they didn’t want me around or be my friend. [Wow, this is really painful. So where you do you fit in? Can you show the pain and confusion here? Create a scene here — describe the scene where you are left out.]
    You: So I minded my business and read a lot of books and learned a lot. [Show details of what books you read and your new learning.]

You write: Until a group of teens spoke to me out of no where. It made me really happy because I was feeling very lonely [show me, create a scene and show your happiness at having friends]… I ended up slacking in school work and becoming more lazy. I stopped reading and writing and became more focused on unimportant things. [show more about how you had become a different person].

3. Emely:

Can you clarify what are the two different worlds you are discussing? At the beginning you talk about the Hispanic school kids world vs the fluent English speaking kids world and how you didn’t fit in with either of these two worlds.

At the end you say you finally were fitting in high school and now having friends and being happy — but not really happy. What world or what identity had this new fitting-in-YOU (popular YOU? Popular world?) moved into. Was this the English-speaking kids or the Hispanic kids? What is this world that took you away from just being your real self — the YOU that had found books and liked reading/writing?

What are the two worlds you are describing in your piece? Is it based on two language/heritage identities OR based on being in the popular social kids world vs being in the world of books and learning. Or if it’s not so cut and dried, you try to find a way to discuss the dual or multi- worlds that you are skirting around and trying on to see if it’s the right world for you.

Overall — Your goal is to show how a particular aspect of your educational experience shaped you to become who you are today. Choose a single transformative event or memory or a set of transformative events or memories that influenced you.

You need to write an actual story–a story with conflict and a true beginning, middle, and end. Mine your memory (yes, like digging for gold!) for one significant event or a significant set of related events that has been important in your Educational Journey and that has shaped who you are today. Be selective and choose the best memories! Do not try to cover too much material! A good piece of writing focuses on one or two events and goes deep.