Reading Response F. Douglass- Omar. R

1.After the young Douglass loses his mistress as his teacher, what strategies does he practice to continue learning to read?  Who does he turn to for help?  How does he persuade them to help him?

Fredrick Douglass found very smart ways to get teaching he was very resilient he didn’t let the mistress stop him from learning. Fredrick used to read newspapers, but the mistress would take that from him. She believed that slavery and education did not go together, and that slaves should not get a chance to learn anything but the plantation. There was even a time he would hide out and get a book and read. When it was head count time, Fredrick would be missing and they would know what he is doing. Once the mistress taught him how to say his alphabet, he didn’t want to stop learning. When Fredrick was sent on his runs he out smarted the kids that were poor but still were able to get an education and learned. He traded food for their knowledge.

Fredrick Douglass got a chance at something that almost every slave couldn’t get, He was able to read and write. Fredrick didn’t take advantage he used that knowledge and kept going he didn’t let any mistress or slave owner stop him.”I
 read
 them
 over
 and
 over
 again
 with
 unabated
 interest.
 They
 gave
 tongue
 to
 interesting
 thoughts
 of
 my
 own
 soul,
 which
 had
 frequently
 flashed
 through 
my
mind,
and
 died 
away 
for 
want
 of 
utterance.” The more Fredrick read books as he was getting older the more he despise his slave owners, he found out more about his ancestors and where he came from and it just brought more questions.
 “The
 more
 I
 read,
 the
 more
 I
 was
 led
 to
 abhor
 and
 detest
 my
 enslavers.
 I
 could
 regard
 them
 in
 no
 other
 light
 than
 a
 band
 of
 successful
 robbers,
 who
 had
 left
 their
 homes,
 and
 gone
 to
 Africa,
 and
 stolen
 us
 from
 our
 homes,
 and
 in
 a
 strange
 land
 reduced
 us
 to
 slavery.” Fredrick was on a road of success, break of bandage and oppression, Only if every-their slave got that opportunity .