Reading Response FDouglas-Amadou D

After young Douglas loses his mistress as his teacher he uses a number of strategies to practice to learn to read. Even though his mistress had her eyes on him every chance she got, he used the free time he had from her properly. According to the text Douglas said he went to “making friends of all the little white boys whom I met in the street”. Douglas knew that the white children who come from wealth weren’t going to associate themselves with a slave so he settled for the homeless kids. When Douglas would go to meet them he brought bread with him to share with them so that in return they would share their own “Bread of knowledge” referring to the teaching of reading.

Here I was Perplexed. I did not dare to ask anyone about It’s meaning, for I was satisfied that It was something they wanted me know very little about. After a patient waiting, I got one of our city papers, Containing an account of the number of petitions from the North, praying for the abolition of slavery in the District of Columbia, and of the slave trade between the states. From this time I understood the words abolition and abolitionist, and always drew near when that word was spoken, expecting to hear something of importance to myself and fellow-slaves. The light broke in upon me by degrees.

When Douglas said this It was because he was gaining more Knowledge of the path for his freedom. Douglas curiosity is truly essential on the knowledge he has gained so far. Now that Douglas knows what an abolitionist is we know that he will strive even more to gain his freedom. This quote shows that the truth about this world and his freedom is coming to him as he gets older and gains more experience. Douglas understanding of the world and people around him is what’s truly going to free him.

1 thought on “Reading Response FDouglas-Amadou D”