Reading Response to Malcolm X — (Newton)

“For evil to bend its knees, admitting its guilt, to implore the forgiveness of god, is the hardest thing in the world. It’s easy for me to see and say that now. But then, when I was the personification of evil, I was going through it.”

Malcolm X at first was completely against bending his knees in prayer. He thought that bending his knees and asking god for forgiveness was something he could never do. But as he matured over time it became easier for him to complete those actions. Now as he looks back on it he can say that it was very hard for him to admit his guilt. But, when he was doing things that he described as “evil” he saw nothing wrong with his actions.

“After he welcomed me into the “true knowledge,” he gave me something to think about. The black prisoner, he said, symbolized white society’s crime of keeping black oppressed and deprived and ignorant, and unable to get decent jobs, turning them into criminals.”

During the time period Malcolm lived in, racism was proudly expressed and there were those who protested against it who were arrested for trying to make life better for themselves.Being black in prison at this time was seen as a way to keep black people in the dark about how thrive and keep them away from opportunities This leads to it being harder for them to secure a good spot in life which forces them to resort to crimes to make ends meet which restarts the cycle. While he was imprisoned he was able to get in contact with Muhammed Ali who placed upon him this knowledge that he saw as something that not many others realized at that time.

page1image44452704

1 thought on “Reading Response to Malcolm X — (Newton)”

1. Good on your first quote choice.

In your second quote choice:
    Think again on Elijah Muhammad’s quote in the reply letter that MX received: “The black prisoner, he [Elijah Muhammad] said, symbolized white society’s crime of keeping black oppressed and deprived and ignorant, and unable to get decent jobs, turning them into criminals.”

Can you focus on these exact words to explain EMuhammad’s reasoning for why the black man is in a lowly position in life and why he turns to crime. ALSO what does Muhammad say is the “white society’s crime”?