Reading Response FDouglass — Jaqueline

Part 1:  What does Douglass mean when he says that “learning to read had been a curse rather than a blessing” (paragraph 5)?  Furthermore, what does he mean when he says that “freedom…was ever present to torment me” (same paragraph)?  In other words, is there a downside to becoming literate?  What might that be?

What Douglass meant when he said that “learning how to read had been a curse rather than a blessing” in paragraph 5, was that now he was able to view and understand his condition from a different perspective than his, but there was no solution to it. When he says that “freedom… was ever present to torment me”, he felt that freedom had appeared and would never disappear from his thoughts ever again. The downside to being literate was that now he would have to be careful and creative about teaching himself to read and write, or there would be punishment. In addition, he was even more aware and better understood the situation he and other slaves were in, which tormented him, as stated in paragraph 6.

Part 2:

One part of the reading that I thought was significant was in paragraph 7 where he says, “…but I nevertheless remembered their advice, and from that time I resolved to run away. I looked forward to a time at which it would be safe for me to escape. I was too young to think of doing so immediately; besides, I wished to learn how to write, as I might have occasion to write my own pass. I consoled myself with the hope that I should one day find a good chance. Meanwhile, I would learn to write”. Douglass had had a conversation with two Irish men, who had advised him to run away to the North. They said he would find friends there and that he would be free. Even though he wanted to be free, he understood how important and valuable it was for him to be able to properly write. Therefore, instead of immediately taking his chances and escaping, he decided to further his ability and knowledge until there was a safe time for him to escape. The reason I thought this was significant is because he, although very young at the time, made a choice of temporarily putting on hold something he deeply wanted, in order to have the opportunity to continue bettering himself.

3 thoughts on “Reading Response FDouglass — Jaqueline”

1. I agree with you on part 1 I actually did the same question and our answers are very similar. You did a great job explaining the meaning behind the “freedom…was ever present to torment me” quote. I had a pretty hard time understanding it at first but seeing another response puts me to ease good job.

2. REthink and be more clear in your answer. Take the quote apart; break it down like we did in class — Isn’t the downside that now he knows the truth of the situation and the life he will have to lead as a enslaved person? Knowledge is power, but it also brings him misery of knowing the awful life he has because he is a slave.

In Part TWO:
    What you chose as a quote to analyze in Part TWO is more matter of FACT: “but I nevertheless remembered their advice, and from that time I resolved to run away. I looked forward to a time at which it would be safe for me to escape. I was too young to think of doing so immediately; besides, I wished to learn how to write, as I might have occasion to write my own pass. I consoled myself with the hope that I should one day find a good chance. Meanwhile, I would learn to write”. FOR THE FUTURE, KNOW THAT THE PERIOD ALWAYS DOES INSIDE ENDING QUOTE MARKS.

The meaning is obvious. Instead — Your choice of quote should be a set of words or sentences that are more significant. Look for a quote that has deeper meaning, that lends to analysis of Douglass’s words and his meaning. THink about the quotes that I choose to discuss in class. These are rich and there is much to ponder.