Media Convergence

Living in the twenty-first century non-text media are taken for granted; mainly because society have gotten so accustom to it and it is no longer a “big deal” to most. Technology is evolving everyday and after reading the article: Content, Computing and Communications  by Graham Meikle,  I am even more happy about its release. Apple  released iTunes, which is an application that keeps track of songs by creating a virtual library, It is also used to play, download, and organize digital audio and video . In 2003, the iTunes store was unveiled customers were then able to quickly find, purchase and download the music they want for just 99 cents per song. Thereafter videos, podcast, books and applications can be purchased or downloaded for free. I use iTunes every day because for me it keeps me entertained and it makes my life as a business owner so much easier with some of the applications. Despite the fact that  iTunes  may have certain issues like not being able to have more than a certain amount of songs in your library according to how many gigabytes you may have; In my opinion as with everything else there will always  be issues and complaints  from consumers even if it is something as amazing as iTunes.

I remembered having a discussion with my mother about traditional media and how she is learning and enjoying all these new and alternative multimedia and applications like Pinterest,Pandora and Poshmark. She reminisced about when she growing up, she had nothing but books, regular broadcasting radio and letters; there were no such thing like Facebook, Instagram and Twitter where you can find friends, post your thoughts, videos and high resolution images for the world to see and even advertising a business.

Because I am living in this century I prefer the alternative to the traditional print and media; because with just the push of a button you can listen to an almost never ending list of music selected by you or you can watch a movie or television show “on the go” via Netflix or Hulu. In my opinion, all of the alternative audios, videos , etc., are amazing and life changing in some cases; that will forever keep changing, making it challenging at times to keep up with but nevertheless the changes are welcoming for me.