Turnstyle Underground Market

A bustling little strip hidden underneath the crowded streets around 59th street and Central Park, you can escape into the equally crowded hall. Filled with visiting tourists, students, and locals looking for a snack or quick meal. My best friend and I grew an interest in going to this particular location thanks to handy dandy social media advertisements.

Slightly reminiscent of a sawed off portion of a mall, Turnstyle Market holds a vastly mixed selection of stands and shops ranging from a small Taiwanese joint called Zai Lai to chicken in a waffle cone at Chikn’ Cone. We ran into a friend who happened to work at Zai Lai and luckily got to use his employee discount. His coworkers seemed very friendly and dedicated to their craft, handled and garnished the food very nicely. We chose to share a pork belly bun and a beef roll from Zai Lai.  Both were delicious, the pork belly melted in your mouth while the beef roll featured a delicious sweet and savory sauce. We also tried mini donuts from The Doughnuttery, each donut was made to order and tossed in a flavored sugar mixture depending on your chosen flavors.

They were pricey for the size but the flavors were diverse, it was definitely the variety that drew us in. You can buy a pack of 6 (for $6) with your choice of 1-2 flavors, or 12 ($11) with 1-4 flavors and so on. As for the products that tempted me, I tried everything I felt inclined to.

Something I was NOT willing to try was a bar of pizza-flavored chocolate from Dylan’s Candy Bar. Though, my best friend and I were feeling brave and disgusting so we tried it anyway. It was indeed disgusting and smelled of pizza flavored Pringles, just not as tasty as them.

For the experience, I give Turnstyle Underground Market a solid 7/10 and would definitely stroll through it again and try out the foods from the upcoming food shops and I think that it’s an enjoyable atmosphere in a small slightly hidden gem that anyone can indulge in.