Greenmarket Blog

Gissell Hernandez-Silva

HGMT1103

Prof.Krondl

11-12-18

Extra Credit Blog

Union Square Greenmarket

I have been to this Green Market so many times. I have gone mostly on Saturdays when It has been super busy and full of noise. Although each and every time I go I find a new experience, I’ve never actually gone from stand to stand seeing what they offer. I would usually just pass by, buy a croissant and continue my shopping for clothes. Going on this trip I discovered the different type of apples (other ingredients as well that I did not try) that it offered and they were delicious! What caught my attention was the black chicken, yes black chicken. I have never heard let alone seen a black chicken but it sure does exist. A lot of restaurants might want to shop here because a lot of the ingredients sold are very fresh and appealing to the eye and that could boost up sales and taste of the food. There are some challenges to having one or more of a greenmarket ingredient on the menu, one challenge being that you have to deliver what you promote. In other words if you say you make home fries  using the Purple Peruvian Potato then they have to be made of that potato or else its false advertising. Also the food has to taste exactly the same, not only look so if you try to be slick and use another kind of ingredient similar to the one you use, there’s a chance the taste might not be the same. A way to communicate to the customer about the item you are using is putting it on a special or giving free samples. Having people taste a bit of what they might get is so much better than having an angry customer who bought a whole course and ends up not liking it. Greenmarket ingredients have changed the way I look at other ingredients, overall this trip was very educational and I enjoyed it very much.

This image requires alt text, but the alt text is currently blank. Either add alt text or mark the image as decorative.