Providing Over 70 Years of Quality Service to the Hospitality Industry

Jenifer’s ePortfolio

My name is Jenifer, I am Mexican American. when I first came to city tech in fall of 2022 I was a paralegal studies major. I’ve always wanted to do law because I found it so interesting and I pictured myself with that type of job position, until after taking two semesters of law I figured that it wasn’t my type of job field. I thought about the type of lifestyle that would come with being a paralegal, and it’s very interesting how it’s somewhat like a chef, both careers involve long hours of hard work and attention to detail. although both are similar in that way, I wouldn’t want to sit in front of a desk and screen for a long time, going over cases over and over again.

I finally decided to change my major this fall 2023 to hospitality management. I am hoping to advance education wise and expand my knowledge to different types of hospitality careers. I’ve always worked in back of house and I would like to learn about different front of house positions such as management and further improve my customer service skills. Over the years I’ve worked at a few restaurants. I started as a. 18-year-old prep cook and worked my way up to line cook and now a catering cook for private corporate events. my favorite thing about working for catering events is the constant change in menu, always working on something different. overall, it is not easy being a cook you must be very strong minded, dedicated and it is very stressful, it takes years of work to reach that confidence in the kitchen.

1. Shaina Williams

It’s a scary, but honest thing to be able to look at yourself and decide that a certain career isn’t for you no matter how much time you’ve put into to it. A commendable action!