- Using information from the text book, identify two changes in the hospitality industry overtime and explain why the changes are significant to you.
- Complete the eProfile assignment
- Review pages 12-22 of the text book if you need information about career paths or professional attributes.
Chapter Reading Questions, Page 12-24
Using information from the text book, answer the question “Why do hospitality professionals need to be service-oriented?”. Answer the question in your own words but indicate the page in the text book that informed your answer.
Complete the following in preparation for the Industry Research Assignment
- Identify a segment of the hospitality industry in which you wish to build your career.
- Conduct a google search using a keyword search such as: “Trends in [enter segment of the hospitality industry]”.
- Identify three trends you found.
- Name and describe the three articles or websites used to find the trends you identified
- Consumer Wine Sales
- Google search:” Trends in consumer wine sales”
- Shift to hard seltzer
- Rose from Provence
Read Chapter 3
- List the departments that comprise the Rooms Division of a hotel. Using vocabulary words from the book, explain, in detail, something you learned about the functions of the department.
Explain the difference between General Manager and the Executive Committee
Read the weekly travel blog, this week will be Bogota. We will discuss it in class.
The final revision of the Industry Research assignment is due (a draft must have been submitted week 4).
- List the departments that comprise Rooms Division of a hotel. Using vocabulary words from the book, explain, in detail, something you learned about the functions of the department.
- Explain the difference between the General Manager and the Executive Committee
- List the departments that comprise the Food and Beverage department of a hotel. Using vocabulary words from the book, explain, in detail, something you learned about the functions of the department.
- What is a BEO?
- Consider the responsibilities of leading a hotel kitchen staff. What would you be best at?
- In Chapter 5, Support your answers with information from the textbook.
- List the major categories of beverages
- Identify and explain two difficulties a manager will face when serving alcoholic beverages.
- List two security measures associated with storing alcohol. Why is each important
In chapter 6,
- identify ten industry specific words or terms that are new to you, define each word/term in detail.
In Chapter 7, Use at least 10 vocabulary words from chapter 7 to answer these two questions:
- Describe the importance of restaurant forecasting and the components that are needed for an accurate forecast.
- Give examples of the different types of restaurant systems used in the back of the house.
In chapter 8
- Summarize the complexities of healthcare food service and the complex challenges faced in the healthcare environment.
- List two tasks performed by a food service manager and explain, using evidence from the text, why each task is important.
- Compare managed food service and commercial food service operations.
Draft of Industry Research project due
Read the weekly travel blog Roads and Kingdom, this week will be Penang.
- How easy or difficult would it be to travel to and around the destination?
- For what purpose would a visitor likely travel to this destination? (The Category of Tourism)
- What opportunities for lodging are available?
- How does the author convey the unique culture of the area through the food and beverage described?
- Identify two cultural sites that are unique to the destination.
- Identify two activities a visitor could engage in and what the visitor will gain from the experience
Read the weekly travel blog, this week will be Charleston Road and Kingdoms.
Promoters of tourism support the efforts of local and national governments to bring travelers to their destination. List the seven types of promoters of tourism. Using evidence from the chapter 9, explain, in detail, how each contributes to tourism.
Week 12, Due May 2
Final Industry Research Project due
Re-read chapters Three and Four of your textbook and answer the following questions
- Review the departments that comprise Rooms Division of a hotel. Choose three departments and explain how one impacts the other two. Use vocabulary words from the chapter to support your answers.
- Consider the responsibilities of the Director of Food and Beverage. Using vocabulary words from the book, explain, in detail, the role of three managers that report to the director.
- Identify eight words or terms in chapter 10 about parks and recreation management that were new to you, define each word in detail.
- Differentiate between a national park and a theme park
- You have been promoted to the Assistant Director of City Tech Adventure Tours.
- Identify two national parks with distinctly different characteristics (one should be in New York State). You will need to use the National Park’s website for this.
- What is an Event Planner?
- Describe the responsibilities
- Where the events take place?
- Identify potential clients for meeting planner?
- What are the challenges of the job?
Identify five jobs in the hospitality Industry you are interested
- If you have not done so yet, join the FYLC OpenLab project
- Write a response to the reflective writing prompt below and post it to the FYLC site.
- Once you have finished writing your post please select your FYLC the category “Goodlad Stewart Corbett”.
- Read and comment on at least two other posts
Our Stories: Becoming a College Student
We invite you to tell a story about your semester at City Tech. Research has shown that first-semester students often worry about their transition in to college and how eventually students become comfortable and find a community of people with whom they are close and feel they belong.
Please describe in a short story how you have experienced your first few weeks at City Tech. Aim to write 300-500 words and be sure to illustrate your post with examples from your own experiences in classes, seminars, lectures, study groups, and labs. What happened? How did you and others involved think and feel? How did it turn out?
We hope this process will help you think about your transition experience. Once you have finished writing please take time to read and comment on at least two of your peer’s stories.
To create your first post please click the plus (+) sign at the top of the FYLC site! (or on the banner at the very top of the page click First Year Learning Communities, then select “add new” post from the dashboard).
Once you have finished writing your post please select your FYLC faculty member as a category. Then feel free to look around and comment on your peers’ writing!