Living Learning Earning

Case Studies

Carlson: A case study in strategy and hospitality marketing position 

By Justin Richards and Fred DeMicco

Question 1:

When looking at the hotel industry and the current economic landscape, which area would you suggest Carlson tailor its focus so that it can improve its overall revenue stream? Improved guest satisfaction? Better marketing initiatives for its franchisees? Would a combination of such initiatives work best? What should Carlson expect when implementing such strategies and which, if any, would you caution against?

A combination of both would be a great initiative but there are also things that needs the hotel industry needs to look out for. One example is when improving guest satisfaction, there might be a case of overwhelming guest demands which might cause trouble between the employees and the guests, there must be a limit set on the satisfaction that can be provided. There must be a foundation where the policy of the hotel and the ethics of its employees are also not in question while providing maximum guests’ contentment. On the other case, when it comes to expanding the marketing initiatives for the franchisees, we also have to track our expenses making sure that the industry is aware of its financial situations while also avoiding the confusion of the budget going anywhere else. 

Question 2:

You are a hotel franchisee looking to open a property in a major city. Based on factors identified within the case study, would you have any reservations about choosing Carlson as your franchise company? What would your expectations be from the parent company to help your business grow? Name some specific things Carlson could do that would help entice travelers to choose your property over your leading competitors.

I would be interested to choose Carlson as my franchise company because they are aware of the world of hospitality and its ever changing environment. I would expect them to adapt to those changes, think about the short and long term values that it may present and implement if they deem that it can be beneficial for the business. The expectations that I have for the company will be high considering that they are the ones who are in charge of setting the standards that I would have to follow as a franchisee. One specific thing that I would have to suggest hiring the locals in said city because they will have more knowledge of different locations around the property and will be able to offer guests some of the tourist spots whenever they decide to explore. In terms of guest choosing my property over the competitors, I would try to make sure that every guest would be comfortable and feel at home, communicating clearly and politely add extra thoughtful amenities that would make them feel welcome.

1. Prof. Karen Goodlad

Thanks Patrick. Please copy and past this into the comment section of the case study you are replying to. Much appreciated.