Phase 2 Diagram and FlowChart/ Timeline: Concept Development Now that you have spent some time understanding and learning about your topic, gathering, organizing and assessing content, it’s time to start to think about your visual solution.
As you begin to sketch and visualize your ideas keep go back to your thesis statement, all components or your design solution should support your thesis statement, keep revising.
Week 12 Monday 12/2/23
- Browse tips posted here: >>Lesson/ConceptDevelopment
- Please make a folder in the class Dropbox with your name and save your concept sketches and design comps as PDFs into the >>Assignment6-ConceptDevelopment
A. Organize Content
- Your project should have one main focused thesis:
- What’s the core message?
- What’s the main question being answered?
- Organize your content into a clear outline
- Use bullet points to organize details for each section
- If appropriate gather the right data to support your thesis.
- Identify the type of graph that will help you visualize this data: >>The Data Visualisation Catalogue
You can find references and explore some excellent design work here: >>Lessons/Inspiration
- Gather images from a variety of sources that help to inspire and guide you
- Identify at least three designers who have successfully completed work that is inspiring and perhaps related to aspects of your project
Create at least 3 sketches of your layout and related ideas:
- Each sketch MUST have a border around it, in proportion to the actual final work in order to clearly specify the dimensions of the space. Sketches can be scaled much smaller.
- Sketches should give you a sense the of the space you are working with and show how you might organize the content to fit. Reference your outline from your content document. Work within a grid.
D. Defining A Grid
Set up the document in InDesign. Create several pages with different grid systems. Chunk your outline into sections and lay them out within the gird.
- Tabloid Poster – 11×17 inches (Vertical layout or Horizontal)
- Margin: 0.5”
- Bleed: 0.25”
- Set up a grid
- Gutter: .025”
E. Asset Building
- Begin to create and collect needed images. If you are illustrating your piece make sure you set aside the time to create the illustrations. If you are using photography, make sure they are high-resolution and visually consistent
- Set up a file in Illustrator and continue to build and experiment with the graph tool
Carefully select (no more than 2) typefaces you would like to work with for your project. Do your research and show your research.
- Study the typefaces available to you in the FONT folder on the computers in class
- Choose two different typefaces that compliment each other, perhaps a serif and a sans serif
- Try to choose typefaces that come with a large variety of of fonts: Light, Condensed, Heavy, Extended, etc.
Week 12 Monday 12/2/23
Be prepared to present all of the above items with the class. Please make a folder with your name and save all the above work as PDFs into the >>Assignment6-ConceptDevelopment Dropbox folder