M. Genevieve Hitchings | COMD3505 - D071 | SPRING 2024

Discussion: Introductions

Add a comment to this post introducing yourself to the class. Please include your academic interests as it relates to Communication Design.

1. What is you area of concentration? And why you chose your major?
  2. What has been your favorite class to date?
  3. What was your favorite assignment?
  4. Where do you feel your strengths lie within Communication Design?
  5. What would you like to get better at?

Please add your introduction by this Friday 2/02 It should be between [250-300 words].

Before next class, read the comments and get to know your classmates! 

For extra credit, reply to one of your classmates’ comments. Do you have something in common? Did you learn something?

1. Bonnie yang

Hello, I’m Bonnie. My area of concentration is graphic design. I consider myself to be a diverse designer, although there isn’t anything I particularly excel at. I changed my major multiple times before transferring to City Tech and choosing Communication Design. I discovered this program through one of my friends who used to attend here.

I have always had a passion for the arts. I love bringing ideas to fruition, solving problems with creativity, and designing something aesthetically pleasing. This is not just a current passion but something I can envision continuing in the future. My favorite class to date has been COMD 3711 – vector art editing. The projects were fun, and I also learned many important skills related to Illustrator. My favorite assignment was creating the Tang Dynasty Makeup Infographic. You can view it here: https://www.bonnieyangportfolio.com/projects/tang-dynasty-makeup. I first illustrated it in Procreate, then I saved it as a PNG and used InDesign to create the layout.

My strengths lie in my imagination. If there is an idea, I can usually recreate it. I take suggestions and critiques to heart and will implement them to make my design better. However, there is still much I don’t know, so I’m always willing to learn more. I am eager to improve my typography skills; sometimes, I find it difficult to pair typefaces with images or use typography alone to create designs. Additionally, I would like to become more proficient in After Effects, Illustrator, and Photoshop. There is always room for growth.

• David Velasquez

Hello Bonnie, very nice to meet you and getting to know you. I have the same passion as you when it comes to arts. I love doing my drawings a while back and I still do now. When you said “I love bringing ideas to fruition, solving problems with creativity”, that was the same concept I was doing when I was thinking about what to draw or illustrate with my mind and do what I can to make it unique.

2. Fenix Frias

1. My area of concentration is branding design and photography. I chose this major because it offered not only many classes that interested me but also new classes that taught me new schools I never thought I would want to learn.
    2. My favorite class to date has been video editing.
    3. My favorite assignment was creating an advertising design for BMW in advanced strategies in illustration.
    4. I feel my strengths lie in composition and typography.
    5. I would like to get better at Photoshop.
  3. Edd Mendez

Here’s my academic interests as it relates to Communication Design 

1. The area of concentration is Communication Design, mostly at Pearl Room. The reason why I chose my major, because it mentions that it has animation, such as 2D and 3D. So, I chose this major so I can study to become a 2D animator, cartoonist, and web designer.  
    2. My favorite classes to date are Storyboard class, 2D animation class, web design and vector illustrator. However, I should choose classes for Spring or fall semester: Character design, Publication Design, Narrative illusion, and Web Design 3. Those classes are only options for preparing my future job arts career.  
    3. My favorite assignment is any vector design assignment, using adobe illustrator. Because I like to illustrate in computer software, and I’m enjoying it a lot. 
    4. Where I do feel my strengths like within Communication design, is working at my bedroom, so I try harder as I can, and discover about the art career. Furthermore, a professor from copywriting class said that if I want to be animator, graphic designer, and artist, all I need to do is to communicate, because that explains why it is called “Communication Design”. Communicate meaning that what does design tells you. 
    5. What I would like to get better at is taking notes during each class, when I feel free, and after finishing the assignment. It is the only way for research to my future job art career, that I was learned from previous class, and prepare to become 2D animator, Cartoonist, and Computer designer. 

In conclusion, those are my five academic interests as it relates to Communication Design. 

4. Emily Kuzar

Hello, my name is Emily Kuzar and my areas of concentration are graphic design and advertisement. I’d love to work on making advertising designs for things like movie posters, animation advertisements, and things like that. I chose to be apart of this major because i’ve always liked designing things, it’s always come pretty naturally to me and it’s been something i’ve been working on for about 8 years now. My favorite class i’ve had so far was graphic design principles 2, where we did a project on creating our own brand making a logo, posters, and an additional way to promote the brand. My biggest strength is once i’m really into a project I make sure to put my all into it. Something I would like to get better at is illustrating, I want to add more little illustrations into projects when it’s necessary and being able to just have that skill on hand would be very benefitical.

5. David Velasquez

David Velasquez’s Introduction

My area of concentration is illustration. I’ve been doing a lot of illustration on Adobe for the projects I did in class. I also use Linearity Curve for the projects that I did on my own time. I chose the major because ever since I was a child, I did a lot of drawing and creating a lot of stuff and it was my passion. I love being creative. Whenever I look at graphic design around the city, I say that I want my creativity to go next level to those categories and how my drawings can be more unique when I start designing it on the computer.

My favorite class is illustration I: Basic Principles. It’s my favorite because Drawing is one of my favorite hobbies and I still do it today from when I was a child to now. I do drawing in my free time and once I’m done, I put my drawings in a binder to save it. What I like about this class is that whenever I do work, I can add it to my drawings in my binder. 

My favorite assignment is doing a project of Creating a Poster that represents you where the professor wanted me and the students to make a poster of anything that interests them and find a quote that connects with it. 

My strengths within communication design are problem solving, which is brainstorming or finding ideas in mind or using critical thinking. Another strength is research by understanding the knowledge of communication design. Lastly, having creativity gives a good sense of designing. 

Using more of the tools from the Adobe programs is what I would like to get better at because I wanted to understand more of the tools and practice them more in order to create professional designs. 

6. Blany Gil Reyes

1.     What is your area of concentration? And why you chose your major?

I am currently focusing on Communication Design, with a specific leaning towards Graphic Design. The reason I chose this major is that I began with Pixel Art and wanted to enhance and incorporate my pixel art skills into various graphic design projects, such as Advertising, Branding, Logos, etc.

2.     What has been your favorite class to date?

So far, my favorite class has been 3D dimensional design. I had the opportunity to learn Cinema4D and create a variety of enjoyable 3D-related projects, encompassing modeling and animation. This experience has been truly fun and has motivated me to delve further into 3D modeling, whether it’s for games or personal freelance projects.

3.     What was your favorite assignment?

My favorite assignment was to create a letter mark representing myself. I chose a shark theme, where a shark swims around the initials of my name. The ‘G’ takes the shape of a shark that bites into the ‘B’. Here is a sketch of my concept. ” rel=”nofollow ugc”>

Since animating it would take a while, I decided to save it for a personal project. In the meantime, I created a simplified animation, which can be viewed here.

” rel=”nofollow ugc”>

4.     Where do you feel your strengths lie within Communication Design?

I believe my strengths are more aligned towards poster design and branding. While I haven’t extensively considered it, I find myself capable of various tasks, including video editing and creating illustrations that complement advertising and packaging. Pixel art is a significant strength as I use it to fuel my imagination and initiate the creative process. I integrate pixel art into different fields to bring my ideas to life. However, I acknowledge that there is still ample room for improvement, and I am eager to learn more to continue refining my skills, especially as my experience beyond pixel art is somewhat limited.

5.     What would you like to get better at?

To be honest, I aspire to enhance my skills, but with a personalized approach that aligns with my specific interests. I’ve always been drawn to the concept of branding and logo creation. I aim to improve my grasp of color theory to craft more aesthetically pleasing palettes. Additionally, I’m keen on refining my skills in illustrations and exploring various design types. Despite starting with Pixel Art, I recognize the need to broaden my expertise in these other areas.

7. antigonebuzhala

Hello. My name is Antigone. I’m a communication design major, interested more in advertising. The reason why I chose this major is because I wanted to explore a new path and see if I would find myself in this field. My favourite class this far is Advanced Image Editing. All the assignments from that class are my favourites till now. My strength with communication design lies on researching and being focused on the projects. I would like to get better with adobe software, especially photoshop, aftereffect and premier pro.

8. Noe Carrillo

Hello, my name is Noe Carrillo and my concentration is on graphic design and advertisement. I chose this major because I have always been creative and why not do that for the rest of my life?

1. What has been your favorite class to date?

My favorite class to date would be design team, I say this because I have always created things on my own and didn’t have to rely on someone else. My communication and teamwork skills grew throughout that class.

1. What was your favorite assignment?

My favorite assignment was a brochure we did for a client in that class, it was fun coming up with the concept and creating the sheets for each of the pages. The process of sending ideas around the team was also very insightful, this was also one of the las projects of the class and by then we were more than comfortable as a team.

1. Where do you feel your strengths lie within Communication Design?

I think my biggest strengths are in typography and my teamwork

1. What would you like to get better at?

I would love to get better at Photoshop and video editing because I believe that being well-rounded helps you push your career forward.

9. David Flores

Hi, my name is David, and my area of concentration is graphic design, advertising, and typography design. I chose to major in communication design because I have always been fascinated with design overall. I enjoy thinking and expressing myself creatively. At first I wasn’t quite sure what I wanted to do but over time I have started to gain an idea in where I would like to do. Choosing this major communication design, I can develop my craft while learning to communicate concepts and messages visually. 

My favorite class to date so far has been Design Studio. I enjoyed this class because it challenged me to create an entire concept from scratch. Which came along with a lot of research and tons of thinking. I was able to develop my research skills when it comes to design. The assignment from design studio has been my favorite. I was able to create an idea that can possibly turn into a real thing hopefully in the near future. 

My strengths that lie in communication design is being able to problem solve, collaborate well with others and research. 

What I would like to get better at is to keep developing and furthering my skills and to get more better with the adobe apps. And I would like to see myself working a bit more with animation and video. I usually tend not to do those specific skills because I’m more into visuals / media like posters, social ads and layouts. It’s important to at least know the basics and that’s one of the many things I would like to get better at. 

10. Chantel Cookson

My area of concentration is graphic design because I have always been passionate about art and enjoy using visual communication to convey messages. I started on this path by taking fashion marketing classes in high school, and I found that I didn’t like the fashion part but that the technical part was fascinating and rewarding. So, I decided to pursue a career in graphic design instead.

Funny enough, my favorite class to date was African American Caribbean music. The course was so lively and interesting that I enjoyed every part of it. I learned so much about the Caribbean’s history while also learning about my own culture’s history and origins. It was truly a unique and enriching experience. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in expanding their knowledge of music and culture.

My favorite assignment was my rebranding packaging assignment. It was challenging, but I loved getting to be creative and think outside the box. Coming up with my own brand was a great experience that allowed me to showcase my unique style and vision.

I feel like my strengths lie in being able to collaborate with other designers and effectively communicate ideas. I feel that my ability to think creatively and problem-solve quickly is also one of my strengths in communication design. 

I would like to get better at being able to adapt to different design styles and techniques in order to expand my skill set and versatility as a designer. Also, being able to remember the short cuts and keyboard commands for various design software programs would be helpful in improving my efficiency and productivity.