The Benefits of up-selling in Hotel

http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/global/154000320/4070568.html

Interesting article, especially for those who want to become a sales person in a hotel. How and where to up-sell our guests in hotel? What benefits can bring to hotels through up-selling?  Also, what is the meaning of up-selling?  Up-selling is used by a large companies across many different industries as a key component in their marketing and revenue generating strategy. In order to increase profits, they used to selling an existing customer a more expensive or additional product and allow a company to turn a perceived disadvantage into advantage. It shows a real example of up-selling runway view bedrooms that are not be very desirable. Also, something really catch my attention are all the up-selling methods including by training employees, at check-in, check-out and booking. They all so simple to do so but allow hotels to increase their revenue without investing heavily on marketing.

This entry was posted in Industry Research Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to The Benefits of up-selling in Hotel

1. Sally says:

Thanks for sharing the article. I am part of the sales and marketing department as an intern and one thing I’ve learned is that my company up-sells the occupancy rate by buying advertisement ads in newspapers, journals and more in order to promote ourselves to others.

• I feel advertisements are more about getting people to recognize the brand. Up-selling needs a person to person(s) touch. The advertisement might bring a person in to your hotel but it is the reservation agent or GSA that will encourage that more money is spent in house.

2. Jennifer Lin says:

I feel that marketing nowadays is not just base on direct advertisement. The advertisement nowadays is really based on word of mouths/ check in’s on social medias. But what social media brings is also a connection, a connection of someone’s experience to what you want. Up-selling probably works well for hotels for a time period, but I believe in the long term to keep retained guest it’s all about the memorable delivered service each employee provides.

3. Eddie Bouret says:

I love this article. I’ve worked many years in retail so I’m used to selling but seeing it in the hospitality industry makes it so much more interesting. It pretty much shows that any situation has potential to make money in the Hospitality industry. It’s all about what you do with a situation. I also agree with what Professor Goodlad mentioned about up selling. It needs that touch of humanity to make it more personal.

4. Luis says:

Up-Selling in hotels are stated before , is a more personal interaction between a guest and the employee. I myself have done it a few times during my shifts as a Front Desk Agent. I had a guest check-in with me for his son’s 21 birthday and confirmed with his ID , I asked the parent if he would like me to setup a small amenity of beer/liquor with some balloons to be put in the room. He was delighted and happy when the son entered his room. These are the type of positive experiences that our industry can create by simply “up-selling” to guests in hotels.