Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - O427 | Spring 2021

Discussion: Our Syllabus

Please add a comment to this post discussing three pieces of information that caught your attention on the syllabus. These could be questions you have about grading or deadlines, comments on the online component, or observations about the chosen readings… really anything that catches your eye is fine.

1. Abbigail Cleary

Do we get notified from this site whenever new content/work is added?
    How many essays do we have in total for the semester?
    During zoom are cameras required to be on during participation/discussions?

2. Jenny Lu

The three pieces of information that caught my attention on the syllabus are the course structure, grading policies and some of the questions that I have about the reading. One information that I noticed is the course structure, having to do bi-weekly posts done in a timely manner as our assignment is a positive thing because students can do the assignments early rather than setting it aside and forgetting the materials learnt in class that can be applied to the assignment and help us in some ways. The second information that I noticed is the grading policies, I realized that tests/quizzes are not incorporated into the syllabus and I wanted to know how it will be calculated? The third information is that I have a question about the readings. It was mention in the syllabus that there will be readings prior to when Thursdays class session begins, will this Thursday be a discussion period about the reading or somewhat like a mini writing period about the readings?

3. Pauline Li

3 information in the syllabus:
    1. I have read Mother Tongue last semester and it was a good read.
    2. What is a Discourse Community?
    3. Some assignments look very familiar. Ex: Annotated bibliography

4. Andrew Lops

Three pieces of information that caught my attention on the syllabus would be…

1) The Zoom meeting, what if something important comes up and you can’t make it to the zoom meeting?

2) I really enjoy the course schedule so I know what is coming ahead of time and what is due.

3) Lastly, are cameras mandatory for zoom meetings, or can we keep them turned off?

5. Moushmi Gopaul

Questions/ Things that stood out
    1. Will there be class time where we do peer review in groups?

2. Last semester was the first time that I did an annotated bibliography and I can’t wait to it again.

3. Will the zoom link for Week 1 be the same for all the other weeks?

6. Marcus Marston

1. Does meeting face to face mean we have to turn on our cameras?.
    2. Are all the assignments done on open lab?
    3. Are the projects done on our own or with groups?

P.S: Does anyone know exactly were to find the syllabus?

• Vanesa

It should be under the ‘Course Info’ Tab!

7. Tanya

Tanya
    Three things that caught my attention from our syllabus was how it is good that we aren’t required to have an actual physical textbook for class.Instead we would be given an online version that we can access. The second thing that caught my eye was how the Final reflection for the portfolio will be because I haven’t one one yet and can’t wait to see how I will do so. The final thing is how the zoom meetings will be and will we be given a chance to be put into separate group break rooms of some kind.

8. Selena Ortiz

Not too much caught my eye in the syllabus as it looks pretty standard. One thing that caught my eye was that tests were not included in the grading policy. What’s the grading policy for tests, if there are any tests? Do we need to have our cameras on during zoom?

9. Vanesa

Meeting on Thursdays has caught my eye and I am more than happy that we are meeting as a class! In regards to participation, when we participate, do we talk about the readings or will there be questions we will have to write out and answer? I am familiar with certain readings, especially the one written by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez! One of my family members knows her really well and I look up to her. I am so happy the readings given to us are diverse in authors and genres. The annotated bibliography is a familiar unit and I am interested to figure out what other research questions I want to compile and research. Will we have breakout groups on Thursday?

10. Victoria Powell

What time will the work be assigned to us, during Tuesday’s asynchronous schedule?

Will work also be assigned during Thursday’s synchronous schedule?

Will we be having a final exam ?

11. Fady Aziz

Will we be notified when new content is added if yes, how?

Will we get our grades posted here or on blackboard?

12. Ryan Mangal

Is there a final exam?
    Is it mandatory to attend class every meeting?
    Will you be recording the session every meeting? That would be great!

13. Justin Pope

One thing that caught my eye in the syllabus is that we will have free access to all the materials. The grading structure also looks very similar to English 1101. Will you make any announcements on Blackboard or will everything be on OpenLab?

14. Diana

Nothing really caught my attention.
    Questions:
    1- Will our cameras have to be on?
    2- Will we have quizzes?
    3- Will there be group projects?

15. Billie Adams

Three pieces of information that caught my on the syllabus are:

1. The syllabus seems like a lot of material we have to cover. Would we be able to cover every thing?
    2. Would there be any exams or just our weekly assignment that needs to be turned in?
    3. Some of the other professors seems to be having problems with zoom.
    The zoom information that was given to us would that always be the link that we will be using for every class or would you have to email us a new zoom link for every class?
    4. Would assignments be given on both Tuesday and Thursday?

I know you said three pieces but these are just four things that seem to be bothering me at this moment. As we progress if there is anything that needs to be address could I email you and would you be quick in your response to emails?

Thank you.
    Billie

16. JohnC

3 Pieces of information about syllabus

1. How much time would an average assignment take up?
    2. Will there be a penalty for not showing your face?
    3. If we ever turn in an assignment late is it an automatic zero or can we still get some credit for it?

• Billie Adams

Hey John C. I like your first question, because some of the material seems like a lot of work. Lol

17. Jeffrey Marin

Three pieces of information that caught my eye were:
    1. Will we need cameras for the meetings.
    2. Is there going to be a final exam?
    3. Can we submit a late assignment?

18. Michael Batista

Three pieces of information about the syllabus that caught my attention:
    1) Can we receive partial credit for assignments that are not fully complete?
    2) Are the class sessions recorded by any chance?
    3) Will we be working in groups?

19. Eimon

1) some of the assignment in the syllabus looks familiar.
    2) will we have any quiz?
    3) are you going to take points off for late assignment?

20. Tyviana Pelsey

1. Will Tuesday’s content be discussed on Thursday’s or both days have different content?
    2. Does this class have regular exams, midterms, or final exams?
    3. If we talk during the zoom call but our camera is off, will you still include that in participation? I know some professors require the camera to be on or they kick the student out of the call.