The author of “Maybe I Could Save Myself by  Writing” wrote about his experience growing up in America and not feeling like he belong because he spoke Spanish and none of his teachers spoke it well of enough to help him attend school.  His roots come from Mexico and he felt as if he didn’t belong there either because of the different language he spoken. Because of this, he started to write poems to speak about what his experience was as a teenager for him.  He is well known to have these traits and doesn’t really fit in with others around him.

After reading this, it made me think a bit. Some people do have trouble fitting it, including myself. Due to me being on the autistic spectrum, I wasn’t that social. I had social anxiety and I could get stressed very easily when it comes to certain things in life. While, I don’t struggle when it comes to English, I can understand that due to some people not being able to, they may have difficulties when it comes to life. Aside from English, I’m not really good when it comes to other languages. I have learned a bit of Spanish, but that is rather difficult to memorize for me. These types of things can happen with anyone, not just with languages. This can happen to people of different races, or how they look, talk or act.  This story basically goes to show how people can be when it comes to interacting with things out of their own culture for the first time and why diversity is such a well known factor when it comes to life.