Every time when I read, I always hurriedly understand the content of the story in the book, but I have never been able to appreciate the author’s words and writing techniques. After reading “how to read like a writer”, I learned a better way to read. I no longer read stories blindly, but focus on writing techniques. This allows me to have more than just fun in the book, but also knowledge. As the article said, “you are better able to “see” the choices that the author is making in the texts that you read. This in turn helps you to think about whether you want to make some of those same choices in your own writing, and what the consequences might be for your readers if you do.”

I also learned that before reading, I need to be clear about the purpose of my reading. Only when I have a goal can I make the reading process clearer. And the way to achieve this is to ask yourself questions. Two very good questions are raised in the article. “Do you know the author’s purpose for this piece of writing? Do you know who the intended audience is for this piece of writing?” I think I can also ask myself “what I want to learn from the book, or what could I learn from the book.” This not only allows me to better learn from reading, but also allows me to distinguish whether the reading is worthwhile.