When we study the history of the United States, we learn about events that molded this country to what it is today. We learn about slavery, oppression and unjust that took place in history. However, it almost seems like, all these books, articles and documents are trying to infer that racism, discrimination and oppression were left back in history. They couldn’t be more wrong. Even though, our nation has significantly progressed from such a horrible era, there still seems to be some crumbs left behind. People in this country still face racism, oppression and unjust every single day, and that is the raw truth that we often try to ignore as we live through our daily lives.

I was about thirteen years old when I moved to Queens, New York from Bangladesh. It was a significant change in my life because it felt as if one day I just got up and left all my friends, family, neighbors; moved over a thousand miles away to the other side of the world. In a third world country like Bangladesh, you only live among people who are Bengalis, with very few foreigners. Therefore, when I moved to New York, it was my first time being in such a culturally diverse place. I loved it! I think it is the diversity of New York that made the transition for me a bit smoother. I was able to relate to most people because most low income families in New York generally go through similar struggles. It felt like we were all in it together, trying to make it out there.

However, it was not until I moved out of NYC to the small city of Oswego in upstate New York, that I realized what it meant to be a minority in America. When I first started college, I encountered some terrible people who judged me because I was colored, and then I met some people who became my best friends. The negatives outweighed the positives, and the discrimination really impacted me as a student. I constantly felt ashamed of who I was, and the need to blend in. Soon I got really depressed and homesick. I stopped going to my classes and locked myself in my dorm all day. As a result, I was academically dismissed from the school. The summer after my first year, I really felt like I hit “rock bottom”. However, I gathered myself together and decided to give it another shot. I am still glad I did because it helped me step out of my comfort zone and evolve. My chapter in Oswego, NY ended when I moved an hour away to Syracuse, NY.

It felt like a fresh start. On the first day at Le Moyne College, I walked into my English class and took a seat in the back. The entire class was very quiet and nobody was interacting with each other. My professor Mr. McCain seemed very friendly and welcoming. He was making jokes, and trying to get everyone to loosen up. As I sat in my class, listening to the professor talk about the syllabus I realized that I was one of the very few colored people in the class. I was not surprised because Le Moyne College was a white-dominant school. However, compared to my previous college in Oswego, NY I felt less like a minority at Le Moyne. The professors, school staff, and faculty were very warm and supporting people. But at the end of the day, when you walk into the cafeteria for example, and see all the colored people sitting in one corner away from the rest of the students you still feel like an outsider. As I sat through class, I felt the need to suppress my identity and who I am because I was afraid that I will be treated differently based on my background. By the end of the semester, however, I was able to break through this fear of being judged by everyone with the help of my professor, counselor and some very supportive peers.

My English professor Mr. McCain shared with us his story from when he was a student. He did not come from a lot of money back then, so him and his family worked very hard to survive. He was bullied by his well-to-do peers and made fun of for just being poor. He was a minority in his class because most of his classmates came from rich families. Feeling pressured, he constantly wanted to blend in just so he can be accepted by everyone. Hearing Mr. McCain’s story I was able to relate to him. I knew what it felt like to be an outcast. However, he encouraged us to embrace who we are, and be proud of where we come from. It is our struggles, and the ups-and-downs of life that make us who we are. Only then would we overcome this fear of being judged for our background. Mr. McCain’s encouragement really helped me in a positive way. Somehow, just by hearing his story and being able to relate made me feel more comfortable in class. I felt as if I could be myself without being nervous. Later that week I wrote an identity essay for class, where I poured my heart out. I felt as if I was free and never felt so confident in myself and my story.

There are many other people in this country who, just like me, immigrated from a different country. They face similar struggles in different scenarios whether it be work, school or a social event. Unfortunately, till this day racism, oppression, and discrimination are alive in this country. It is very important to remember that, there is nothing wrong with being different. There is nothing wrong with speaking with an “accent”. There is nothing wrong with wearing different clothes, or eating different food. Different is beautiful, we should all be proud of our differences and celebrate it. What is more human than being accepting of one another, and living among each other with respect and love in our hearts?