Reading this text I learned many people are part of different communities, and that these communities form powerful bonds and give people strong connections to each other. While reading “Hers” by Klass, I learned of a new community within the medical field which is a community that uses special language and terms. The writer explained that being a part of this community makes her feel included in her new profession. Being part of that community helps bring people in the medical field to feel closer to each other when under lots of stress as well. This special medical language community also allows doctors to maintain distance from their patients. Communities clearly make a big difference in the lives of people and bring those people a sense of belonging and peace.

Some communities I am a part of are the hispanic, academic, art, and sport community. I consider these to be communities I am a part of because they are part of my identity and they are also what I take interest in. Similar to Klass, being a part of these communities have influenced my learning and social connections. For instance, to engage in most hispanic communities I’ve had to learn spanish and speak it my whole life. I learned Spanish at a young age from my family teaching me and also speaking it frequently. The people around me mostly speak proper Spanish but knowing Spanish slang has also helped me communicate and understand other hispanic people. Knowing Spanish has also connected me closer to my culture and closer to my family outside of the United States, as well as giving me a sense of inclusivity. Being part of the hispanic community and knowing spanish has also made me appreciate and take more pride in my identity. Participating in academic, art, and sport communities have also shaped me as a person by allowing me to find new hobbies and express myself. 

Annotations:

The special medical language used caught my eye.

Learning new abbreviations was interesting.

These special languages contribute to a sense of closeness and professional spirit among people who are under a great amount of stress.

This language helps doctors maintain some distance from their patients. 

This language helps reduce patients’ emotional impact, which I understand.