Reading this article gave me a wink of realization that belonging to different communities gives us a new language and perception of ideas. With the accumulation of certain ideas, blossoms a language or lingo. I believe most of us can relate to the writer when she says that all communities have their way of expressing and communicating thoughts and ideas. It’s almost as if you learn a new way to communicate once you become a part of the crowd. For example, I am currently pursuing a BS in chemistry with hopes of becoming a biochemist or cosmetic chemist. With this interest, a lot of my day or hobby goes into learning about the chemical components of skincare and beauty products. I hadn’t realized how much I’ve gotten to learn the language of chemistry/ skincare terminology until I had realized that there are many words that I wouldn’t use in a regular conversation. In a discussion with anyone, never would I say, “AHA, BHA, or IPL can help with PIE and PIH”. What does that mean? Well AHA is short for alpha hydroxy acid, and BHA is beta hydroxy acid. Both components are chemicals in skincare that help to exfoliate the skin to increase cell turnover and further helps with sebum control, anti-aging, and comedonal acne. Whereas, an IPL (intense pulsed light) is a laser treatment for the skin. For some, even that explanation isn’t enough. Furthermore, PIE stands for post-inflammatory erythema and PIH means post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. When I am referring to these words I am referring to two types of acne scarring. So overall with this sentence I am recommending procedures that can help with certain skin concerns. Of course, if I was explaining this to someone new to skincare and its terminology, I would phrase my sentence differently and try my best to not throw technical terms or abbreviations at them. But I also recognize that learning and picking up such terms helps me to communicate efficiently with people of this community.