After reading the first 7 pages of “The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao” I was left intrigued yet confounded. Although written in immense detail and directness, I found myself on a slippery slope of interpretation. They say that when you don’t start your day on the right foot, it’s likely your whole day is destined to go awry. This is exactly how I felt when I first start reading the passage. I felt that since the start I was confused as to the purpose or context of the writing. The author mentions that fuku americanus were perceived or dictated as a curse or a doom of some kind, called The Curse and the Doom of the New World. I immediately inferred that fuku isn’t something tangible but rather something allegorical. However, I was confused as to why it was personified in the paragraphs later on. The author mentions that fuku was something people vehemently acknowledged and many have been eaten by it. Furthermore, the author elaborates that those who conspired against or hadn’t respect the Dominican dictator Trujillo, faced about the greatest misfortune, fuku. Eventually with all the context I concluded that fuku is like bad luck or misfortune. I soon came to make sense as to why the writer had been using language and diction in such a way. The purpose hadn’t been to confuse the reader but rather to show to generalize and abstractify fuku. Now with better understanding, I went back to the first page, the part where I was extremely bewildered. Then it made sense to me that fuku americanus, was symbolic as the curse brought upon from the sufferings of those ensalved. Albeit I am still confused as to the purpose of this writing, but I foresee that reading and analyzing it much farther may eventually help grasp an adequate interpretation.