English Composition II

Day One HW

I can definitely relate to both the video and article because my name is also different. Only difference is it doesn’t tie back to my religion or culture, it’s just a one of a kind type of name. When I was a child I absolutely hated my name! I hated my name because it was different from most common names. I hated my name because no one would ever say it correctly. I hated my name because it would sound a lot like the word “nobody”. I would dread random name calls during elementary because I was afraid the teacher would pronounce it incorrectly. Unfortunately most of the time they would incorrectly pronounce it and every time this happened I would feel a sense of shame and embarrassment. I would always question my mother and ask her “Why on earth would you name me such a weird and odd name?” her response would always be because it’s “different” and “unique.” She would always tell me that I should love my name because it’s beautiful and represents who you are as an individual. I never got bullied for my name, it was just an insecurity I had developed in elementary on my own. Now, years later, I actually like my name and have learned to accept the fact that it is unique and beautiful.  I’m always getting compliments on how cool and pretty my name is. Since middle school I’ve been getting called “Nova” for short, which I love. My name makes me feel special because it’s one of a kind and I’ve never heard anyone with my name. Lastly, it makes me feel different from others (in a positive way). 

1. Prof. Edelson

Beautiful writing! Wonderful twist that you came to love your name. So many people from this class posted similar stories about hating their unusual names so maybe go read some other posts and find kindred spirits out there!