Di Palo

Di Palo’s has been over for many year now, and yet it is still attracting tons of tourists. Not only is this store located at Little Italy; also, it is filled with traditional products, and it is known for their authentic Italian groceries. Moreover, it is really close to my home, and usually I do not go there to shop for my Italian dish.

Pricing wise it may be more reasonable to tourists that is only visiting once or twice, but overall I think it is a little bit too much compare to other local Italian places that sell those products also. On the other hand, the history that was explain by one of the owner was very informative, and we all might feel that we are there while the man was telling his story. However, I did not felt I was welcome into the place at all, and it is more like you can help yourself. The smell and aroma was really intriguing similar to being in Italy.

We were not offered to get to taste, and that was very disappointing. Will I go back? …No, not a chance.

4 thoughts on “Di Palo

1. Thomas Quinn

Let me start by offering some basic info on Di Palo’s. They are located at 200 Grand St., New York, NY. Di Palo’s is open every day from 9 to 6:30, except Sunday, they close at 4. They offer a wide variety of Italian specialities that no one else carries outside of Italy.
    I grew up in South Brooklyn where many Italian families have set up bakeries and specialty shops passed down from generation to generation. Di Palo’s was very reminiscent of these shops, you can tell it was a family business. I can see how you felt rushed, but that’s just the way the stores are always run. You get your stuff, yell a “hey how yah doin'” to the owner and get out. We show love in a different way. I would Definitely go back and browse that olive oil section.

2. Ana De Sa Martins

I really like going to Di Palo’s once in a while when I am around Little Italy just to check what interesting products they have -and to buy some of their delicious Porchetta (If they are not sold out). We learned from our group visit that the owners constantly travel to Italy looking for new/seasonal products to bring to the store, which is great when your are in the search for very specific and authentic Italian ingredients. They also sell other products that they make in house, such as pasta sauces, ravioli and cheeses -mozzarella, ricotta and burrata.

3. Laura Chierchia

I really enjoyed visiting Di Palos. Although we didn’t get to taste any products (none of which I could really taste anyway) I still thought it was one of the best spots. Hearing him talk about his family and is constant visits to Italy made me feel very nostalgic about my own family and traditions. I love hearing how proud he was of the products and being around for so many years. It shows the loyalty they have to their community and the Italian Traditions. The market was very packed filled with what seems traditional products and the smell was very authentic of what most Italian households smell like when you enter. I will very much like to go back there to check the olive oils and the different types of pastas that they sell.

1. Jendayi

I’ve never had the opportunity to visit Little Italy, so being able to explore for a trip was very rewarding. I’ve heard a lot about all the different stores and restaurants. One of the places that caught my attention was Di Palos. Hearing the man speak about the history behind the store opening was amazing. The passion that his father and grandparents put in to start Di Palo was motivating. It makes me think that one day I’ll be able to open up my own place of my own.