The Trust for Governors Island is offering a full-time, paid summer internship for an undergraduate or graduate student to work with its Arts and Culture team. This internship will provide hands-on experience in the planning, organization and production of future large-scale public art commissions that will take place on Governors Island, a 172-acre park and public space in NY Harbor with over 800,000 visitors annually. The Public Art Intern will work closely with the VP of Art & Culture and Head Curator and Director of Public Programs in development of major public artworks and associated public programming by conducting research, coordinating project logistics and some on-site production work if schedules allow.
The ideal candidate must be highly organized, self-motivated, detail-oriented, adaptable and have excellent written and verbal communication skills. Successful candidates may have a demonstrated interest in public art, production, cultural programming, art history and related fields, as well as some experience working in a public space or cultural institution. Candidates should be comfortable using Microsoft Office software and other digital tools to manage large quantities of information and coordinate multifaceted projects.
The internship runs from June 7 through August 27, 2021, with some flexibility to accommodate alternate or part time schedules if needed for the right candidate. This position can be either fully remote or a hybrid of remote and on-site (outdoor) work if the successful candidate is located in NYC.
- High School graduate currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Graduate College program with a focus on Art, Art History, Curatorial Practice, or related fields.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively, multi-task, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Strong communication skills.
- Organizational and research skills to prioritize and accomplish tasks in a timely manner.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication and project management skills.
- Ability to be flexible and manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- High level of self-organization, autonomy and time management.
Please send a cover letter and resume as a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org with “2021 Public Art Internship” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
The Trust for Governors Island does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, genetic information, marital status, membership in an employee organization, military service, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including gender identity), sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, or other non-merit factor.
ABOUT THE TRUST FOR GOVERNORS ISLAND
The Trust for Governors Island (The Trust) is a nonprofit corporation created by the City of New York. It is responsible for the redevelopment and operation of 150 acres of Governors Island. The Trust’s mission is to realize the full potential of Governors Island, demonstrating a bold vision for public space. For more information, visit www.govisland.org.