Philip Lorca-diCorcia

Philip Lorca Dicorcia is an American photographer that his work alternates between reality and fantasy.  His shots are carefully planned, he take shots of everyday occurrences and adds a twist of cinematic feel into it.  The color in his photography are very vivid and you can say that all his shot can pose as an advertisement.  All his work really emphasizes on the model’s expression/reaction.  He is one of my favorite photographer because he’s a guy that can make a boring situation full of life and excitement!

In this gallery “Hustler” Philip Lorca went around LA shooting images of male prostitutes. instead of paying them for sex he would pay them to have their picture taken. This gallery is all staged.  The men he found came to LA from all over the country for a glamorous new life that they believed could be found in Hollywood. The titles of the photos included the subject’s name, age, hometown and the fee exchanged. My favorite shot from him for this gallery would be Roy, ‘in his 20s’, Los Angeles, California, $50. This shot is perfectly proportioned.  The subject is lying directly in the middle of the bed while having his head dangled over the edge of the bed.  Th subject has perfectly mid length hair which makes a beautiful symmetric shape for the shot.  The main light source seems to be coming from the left side making the right side of the subject face darker.  The meaning behind this photo tells me that he did not expect Hollywood to be like this.  He made a huge mistake and hes having flashbacks of all he did till this very moment.

One thought on “Philip Lorca-diCorcia

1. rmichals

I love the detail of the white cowboy boots in this photo. It is also beautifully lit. The ambient light would make the room very dark but the way Lorca-Dicorsia has placed his lights, it looks completely natural.