Avedon and Jonathan

Richard Avedon’s portrait style is a natural portrait of people. For example, he takes photos of people with outside lighting. He takes the natural emotion of people. His photos have a lot movement to make the audience stay on the image. He has dramatic shots and candid shots of people. You can engage with his images and have a lot questions about the storytelling of the portrait. Jonathan Mannion was assistant of Avedon and has brought the style of bringing the emotion out. He obviously has color in his photography. He uses modern-day problems to bring it out to the world. A lot of his work has different kinds of culture. He uses natural light and Rembrandt lighting with storytelling.

One thought on “Avedon and Jonathan

1. rmichals

I am a bit baffled by your use of the word “ natural” to describe Richard Avedon’s portrait style. He generally shoots his subjects against a flat background often with front light. It’s not that he never shot on location. He did esp early in his career but that is not what he was known for. And candid? Most of his well-known work was studio work. Even his Western series while shot outside, looks like it was shot in a studio because he placed everyone against a white background.

I don’t really recognize Mannion’s work from your description either. I am certain that he added light for almost all of the images in the portrait section of his website. These images are far from “natural.” And really since he is photographing performers the photos are about theater-projecting an image-you might call this storytelling. When I went through the images, there were maybe three in the portrait section that use Rembrandt lighting.