- Date: Thursday, February 10th
- Meeting Info: IN PERSON CLASS P125
To-Do Before Class
- Bring finished Homework 1 (HW1) for critique.
- Join this Openlab Site
- READ chapters 1 & 2 on Understanding Comics
The Comic Strip: Multi-Panel Storytelling
TODAYS LECTURE & ASSIGNMENT :
- To understand the basic unit of comics, the panel.
- To consider the concepts of time and action in sequential art.
- To consider the ways words and images interact in comics.
- To familiarize studnets with the standard American comics workflow.
CRITIQUE: Assignment 1 – 1 Panel Comic
- Story Structure
- Reading Order
DISCUSSION: Chapters 1 & 2 on Understanding Comics
BOOK REVIEWS: Discuss format: comicsworthreading.com
LECTURE: The Comic Strip: Multi-Panel Storytelling
DRAWING ACTIVITY: PLAYING WITH TIME USING PANELS
DRAWING ACTIVITY The Wrong Planet – J. Abel
DEMO & DISCUSSION: Traditional Comics Work Flow:
- Thumbnails & Layout
INKING DEMO & LECTURE
Review Assignments and Expectations for Next Week’s Class
Due Next Week
- Assignment 2: The Comic Strip (3 panels – Due Week 4)
- Sketchbook Week 2
- Reading Week 2 : Chapters 3 & 4 Understanding Comics
- Purchase Supplies – For use in Class Week 3
Print this page
Leave a Reply