Robin Michals | COMD 1340 Photography 1

Final Project Statement & mood board

For this project, I plan to take pictures of the MTA subway, more specifically the trains and its environment. Ever since I was little I’ve been very immersed with the MTA subway as it was one of the only ways I would get around, either to school or just to go somewhere with my family. I’ll mostly be aiming to take pictures of how it was for me and how I felt to be at the train station. It’ll have images of rush hour, the station itself, and just how it can look at moments with the train leaving and coming in. I will be taking pictures in Queens and Manhattan because those are the only 2 boroughs that I’ve been to when I was younger. I’ll be taking pictures from both outside stations and inside stations to show two different sides of the spectrum, with some images being from across the other side of the station. I’ll also capture an entire day cycle from morning to dark.  I do plan to use leading lines, fill the frame, rule of thirds, and maybe 1 or 2 oblique angles. I want to capture the current state of the MTA and with that being said, from my experience it’s gotten a lot worse when it comes to rush hour, I remember it being bad but not this bad. Though it still retains a lot of its features that I still remember seeing for the first time as a kid. I’ll be using long and wide shots with good spacing for the image to be visually interesting. I do plan to lower my shutter speed for a few shots to capture people within the station commuting and the train either leaving or entering the station to give it that blur effect in my images.

Ordered ->

Patrick Cashin (7) 

Alexis Antoine (28)

Piotr Osmenda(f)

Lerone Pieters (cu) 

Caio Silva (81) 

Nic Y-C (wide) 

1. rmichals

I think the subway is a great topic particularly if you shoot mostly above ground. Its just really dark in most subway stations and you won’t get good quality photos.

I suggested looking at Bruce Davidson’s subway work from the 80s. One of the things that makes that series so great is that each photo is a sort of environmental portrait. They are photos of people in the subway. Not photos of the subway with people in them.

https://www.magnumphotos.com/arts-culture/society-arts-culture/bruce-davidson-subway-new-york-usa/