Jose Antonio Vargas’s article “My Life as an Undocumented Immigrant” from The New York Times Magazine in june of 2011, is intended to reach people with interest and opinions about illigal immigration from both sides of the isle. The article’s main point is to show the struggles of life for undocumented immigrants by, exhibiting how they long to be viewed as a part of society, and reveal how the system makes it imposible for them to become citizens. As Varges states “even though I think of myself as an American and consider America my country, my country doesn’t think of me as one of its own” (3). Writing this article helped him unload years of anxiety and fear of being disclosed as an unducumented immigrant.

Vargas feared of not seeming American enough, so he decided to eradicate his native accent in favor of an American one. He watched American movies and shows, and paused and tried to learn their accent by mimicking it. Even though by the time he found out he was not in the country legally he had spent nearly four years of his life in the united states, finding out how he got into the country made him feel like he didn’t belong. The feeling of not belonging followed him for the rest of his life, and made him not fully express himself, but try to fit in instead. This fear seeded in him from such a young age made it harder for him to form friendships and relationships. Now Vargas doesn’t have to pretend to be someone he isn’t, he can fully embrace himself.